Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Target platform based on "Software Sites" and "Include Required Software&
Target platform based on "Software Sites" and "Include Required Software& [message #1006137] Wed, 30 January 2013 07:27 Go to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Messages: 5487
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

When I set up my target platform based on software sites the problem I
get when checking "Include Required Software" is that it tells me stuff
like this:

Missing requirement: ECF Filetransfer SSL Fragment 1.0.0v20120610-1946
(org.eclipse.ecf.provider.firetransfer.ssl 1.0.0.v20120610-1946)
requires 'package javax.net.ssl 0.0.0' but it could not be found

which does not make really a lot of sense because this package is
exported by org.eclipse.osgi_3.8.1.v20120830-144521 which IS part of the
target platform.

When I uncheck the "Include Required Software" I get a fully resolved
target which shows no problems in the "Target Platform State"-View.

Tom
Re: Target platform based on "Software Sites" and "Include Required Softw [message #1006332 is a reply to message #1006137] Wed, 30 January 2013 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis WindattFriend
Messages: 166
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Tom,

When 'Include required software' is turned on, we use the p2 planner to determine the complete set of dependencies. All the dependencies must be satisfied by the p2 repository you are pointing at. Does the p2 repo contain osgi or is that in another location in your target?

Turning off 'include required software' results in using the p2 slicer instead which doesn't fail if it is missing a dependency. It will include all dependencies it can find in the repository but not complain if some are missing.

Sounds like turning off the option makes sense for your case.
Re: Target platform based on "Software Sites" and "Include Re [message #1006383 is a reply to message #1006332] Thu, 31 January 2013 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Messages: 5487
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Curtis,

Yes the p2 repository contains all bundles even the osgi one. There's no
need for an other p2 repo or location in the target so IMHO the p2
planner has no reason to fail.

If you want you can see the p2 target I'm generating at
http://downloads.efxclipse.org/p2-repos/dev/nightly/. Like I said when I
uncheck the box, activate the target platform with only this p2 repo and
then open the "Target Platform State"-View there are not resolve errors,
which indicates to me that my p2 repo has all needed bundles.

The interesting thing is that it only complains about javax... packages
which leads me to believe it has an EE problem so I set the EE to JavaSE
1.7 in the target - maybe this is not passed to the p2 planner and so it
uses the wrong one?

It looks to me then that this is a p2 problem, right? The problem is
that 'Include required software' is the default setting and people are
confused why we provide them a target platform not working.

Tom

Am 30.01.13 22:19, schrieb Curtis Windatt:
> Hi Tom,
>
> When 'Include required software' is turned on, we use the p2 planner to
> determine the complete set of dependencies. All the dependencies must
> be satisfied by the p2 repository you are pointing at. Does the p2 repo
> contain osgi or is that in another location in your target?
>
> Turning off 'include required software' results in using the p2 slicer
> instead which doesn't fail if it is missing a dependency. It will
> include all dependencies it can find in the repository but not complain
> if some are missing.
>
> Sounds like turning off the option makes sense for your case.
Re: Target platform based on "Software Sites" and "Include Re [message #1006438 is a reply to message #1006383] Thu, 31 January 2013 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mickael Istria is currently offline Mickael IstriaFriend
Messages: 771
Registered: July 2009
Location: Grenoble, France
Senior Member
On 01/31/2013 09:10 AM, Tom Schindl wrote:
> requires 'package javax.net.ssl 0.0.0' but it could not be found
> ...
> which does not make really a lot of sense because this package is
> exported by org.eclipse.osgi_3.8.1.v20120830-144521 which IS part of
> the target platform.

I can't see this package exported by org.eclipse.osgi bundle. It's
supposed to be provided by the JRE.
The target-platform as in its "Environment" tab settings for a target
Java Runtime. Did you ensure this is referencing a valid and recent JRE?

> The problem is
> that 'Include required software' is the default setting and people are
> confused why we provide them a target platform not working.

The UI for target-platforms is not very clear. "Include required
software" will *try to* resolve dependencies transitively on available
sites. It does nto guarantee the TP is complete.

--
Mickael Istria
JBoss, by Red Hat
My blog: http://mickaelistria.wordpress.com
My Tweets: http://twitter.com/mickaelistria
Re: Target platform based on "Software Sites" and "Include Re [message #1006456 is a reply to message #1006438] Thu, 31 January 2013 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Messages: 5487
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Am 31.01.13 12:00, schrieb Mickael Istria:
> On 01/31/2013 09:10 AM, Tom Schindl wrote:
>> requires 'package javax.net.ssl 0.0.0' but it could not be found
>> ...
>> which does not make really a lot of sense because this package is
>> exported by org.eclipse.osgi_3.8.1.v20120830-144521 which IS part of >
> the target platform.
>
> I can't see this package exported by org.eclipse.osgi bundle. It's
> supposed to be provided by the JRE.
> The target-platform as in its "Environment" tab settings for a target
> Java Runtime. Did you ensure this is referencing a valid and recent JRE?

You won't find it in the export section of the osgi bundle because it
coming from the JRE and so it should be exported by the system.bundle
which is the above one.

On the environment tab I've set the execution environment to JavaSE-1.7
my current thought is that PDE is not passing this information to the p2
planner and hence it fails

>
>> The problem is
>> that 'Include required software' is the default setting and people are
>> confused why we provide them a target platform not working.
>
> The UI for target-platforms is not very clear. "Include required
> software" will *try to* resolve dependencies transitively on available
> sites. It does nto guarantee the TP is complete.
>

In my case because the one repo contains all and everything from osgi,
to emf, ... the target platform is complete!

I'll try to dig into the code tonight, maybe I can find the problem.

Tom
Re: Target platform based on "Software Sites" and "Include Re [message #1006585 is a reply to message #1006332] Thu, 31 January 2013 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Messages: 5487
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

I've debugged a bit and I think when using the p2 planner and a bundle
has an import which is resolved from the JRE through the EE and
system.bundle at runtime the planner will fail.

Tom

Am 30.01.13 22:19, schrieb Curtis Windatt:
> Hi Tom,
>
> When 'Include required software' is turned on, we use the p2 planner to
> determine the complete set of dependencies. All the dependencies must
> be satisfied by the p2 repository you are pointing at. Does the p2 repo
> contain osgi or is that in another location in your target?
>
> Turning off 'include required software' results in using the p2 slicer
> instead which doesn't fail if it is missing a dependency. It will
> include all dependencies it can find in the repository but not complain
> if some are missing.
>
> Sounds like turning off the option makes sense for your case.
Re: Target platform based on "Software Sites" and "Include Re [message #1007163 is a reply to message #1006332] Mon, 04 February 2013 16:15 Go to previous message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Messages: 5487
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
The problem we are seeing here is
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=284465

Tom

Am 30.01.13 22:19, schrieb Curtis Windatt:
> Hi Tom,
>
> When 'Include required software' is turned on, we use the p2 planner to
> determine the complete set of dependencies. All the dependencies must
> be satisfied by the p2 repository you are pointing at. Does the p2 repo
> contain osgi or is that in another location in your target?
>
> Turning off 'include required software' results in using the p2 slicer
> instead which doesn't fail if it is missing a dependency. It will
> include all dependencies it can find in the repository but not complain
> if some are missing.
>
> Sounds like turning off the option makes sense for your case.
Previous Topic:Help needed to monitor close event
Next Topic:Using Eclipse folding & projection to hide some portions of text (not an entire row)
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Dec 22 16:41:36 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.10753 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software