|Re: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update [message #990346 is a reply to message #984380]
||Wed, 12 December 2012 05:08
| Jackey J
Registered: November 2012
Thanks for your reply.
Following your indications, I found that the "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" installed in my Indigo is version 220.127.116.11202051448 (by checking installation details), not 18.104.22.168109101025 .
Then I wonder why it shows the earlier 2.0.1.x version blocking my update when I click "Check for Updates" ?
I don't want to upgrade from Indigo to Juno, while just intend to update some existing plugins based on Indigo. My indigo has Java/PHP/C++ plugins mixed to develop different things.
I had a test: Firstly, uninstall "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core", and secondly run "Check for Updates", it shows me to install that patch again, without other choice. And then I have to installed it, and then "Check for Updates", it again tells me that original error, blocking me from updating any other plugins.
So now I have no idea how to work around this "Patch" plugin for updating other plugins.
Any hint would be greatly appreciated.
|Re: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" issue on update [message #1011496 is a reply to message #1011272]
||Tue, 19 February 2013 16:34
| Stephan Herrmann
Registered: July 2009
All this is strange.|
Usually I download and install Eclipse directly from Eclipse.org, and I don't see much advantage in using Ubuntu packages instead.
Still, running on Ubuntu 12.04 myself I just tried it that way.
First Eclipse couldn't find SWT binaries .
After fixing that and adding the indigo update site into Eclipse Indigo (looks indeed inconsistent), I could do several rounds of updates with no problem. I think the second update suggested to install the Object Teams patch, and it installed without a problem.
Wait, as I'm speaking, on trying the forth round or so of updating, I can see the problem.
At this point I have the following situation:
- installed is Eclipse Java Development Tools 3.7.2.v20120120-1414-.....
- installed is Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core 22.214.171.124109101025
- proposed for update is Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core 126.96.36.199202051448
- error is: "Object Teams Patch for JDT/Core" is not applicable to the current configuration and will not be installed.
- (1) and (2) should not be compatible (although installing this worked OK).
- (1) and (3) should be compatible
- While displaying the error message, the Detail message is no longer shown, which normally reads:
This feature is NOT a regular update of the JDT, but REPLACES the
org.eclipse.jdt.core plugin by the corresponding version for Object Teams.
This change makes the JDT Core capable to handle OT/J code.
Eclipse p2 has several known bugs that amount to the fact, that normally patch features cannot be installed into a shared install for which the user has no write permission. Partly I'm surprised to see it work in this situation at all.
I happen to know that Pascal Rapicault is right now re-writing part of p2 in order to improve the situation for shared installes (including better error messages, migration strategies etc.) - this will go into Eclipse 4.3 (Kepler).
I will be a while before these fixes show up in Ubuntu.
Finally I tried to install the full Object Teams Development Tooling. Again installing seemed to work alright, only when I wanted to start working in the Object Teams perspective did I find that neither this nor the Java perspective were available. I.e., something claimed that installation was successful, where in fact it had broken the install.
- If you want to use Object Teams, please install from an original Eclipse package from Eclipse.org.
- If Object Teams came to you only by accident, please excuse, simply uncheck this update when it is offered
- and in that case I still hope, you'll find some time to read about the coolness of Object Teams  and come back later
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.27412 seconds