Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Dynamic Languages Toolkit (DLTK) » Debugging Ruby on Eclipse
Debugging Ruby on Eclipse [message #881838] Tue, 05 June 2012 10:45 Go to next message
shay leon is currently offline shay leonFriend
Hi

Installed "DLTK3 - Ruby development tools"
Installed Ruby193 and DevKit from rubyinstaller.org.

Eclipse runs Ruby scripts, but debug is not working.

Not sure whether it was necessary, but I then did
gem install ruby-debug19
which led to:
"ruby_debug.c:29:19: error: conflicting types for 'rb_iseq_compile_with_option'"
so I wrote:
"gem install ruby-debug19 --ignore" which worked.

I then did "gem install ruby-debug-base19x -v 0.11.30.pre3" which worked.

BUT... debug is still not working.
When selected debugging engine is "Ruby built in debugger", I get following errors in Eclipse's console (I cannot post links since I'm newbie on this forum, so here's a big paste):

--------------------
C:/DOCUME~1/shleon01/LOCALS~1/Temp/dltk18295.tmp/debugger/AbstractRunner.rb:97: warning: else without rescue is useless
C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': C:/DOCUME~1/shleon01/LOCALS~1/Temp/dltk18295.tmp/debugger/AbstractRunner.rb:94: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting keyword_then or ',' or ';' or '\n' (SyntaxError)
when nil: NullLogManager.new
^
C:/DOCUME~1/shleon01/LOCALS~1/Temp/dltk18295.tmp/debugger/AbstractRunner.rb:95: syntax error, unexpected keyword_when, expecting keyword_end
when 'stdout': StdoutLogManager.new
^
C:/DOCUME~1/shleon01/LOCALS~1/Temp/dltk18295.tmp/debugger/AbstractRunner.rb:95: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting keyword_end
when 'stdout': StdoutLogManager.new
^
C:/DOCUME~1/shleon01/LOCALS~1/Temp/dltk18295.tmp/debugger/AbstractRunner.rb:105: syntax error, unexpected keyword_end, expecting $end
from C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
from C:/DOCUME~1/shleon01/LOCALS~1/Temp/dltk18295.tmp/debugger/BasicRunner.rb:10:in `<top (required)>'
from C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
----------------------------------

When selected debugging engine is "Fast ruby debugger" I get
"Debugging Engine not started
The 'Fast Ruby Debugger (ruby-debug)' is selected, but the 'ruby-debug' gem doesn't seem to be installed in the selected Ruby Interpreter (C:\Ruby193\bin\ruby.exe)"

I tried JetBrains RubyMine and it installed a GEM and now it's working, but I rather figure out how to work using Eclipse

Looking forward for any advice.

Re: Debugging Ruby on Eclipse [message #903243 is a reply to message #881838] Wed, 22 August 2012 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Gilbert is currently offline Larry GilbertFriend
It looks like DLTK up through and including 4.0 still revolves around Ruby 1.8. I took a peek at the source code and found that the debugging support depends on the ruby-debug and ruby-debug-ide gems because those names are hard-coded; thus there seems to be no way to use the 1.9 versions of the gems (except perhaps renaming them?). And as you've probably noticed, there is no understanding of any new syntax that was introduced with Ruby 1.9.

My understanding is that the DLTK team has not had enough people to work on the Ruby code but would welcome additional help. (I intend to volunteer my own modest expertise. Smile)
Re: Debugging Ruby on Eclipse [message #963243 is a reply to message #881838] Mon, 29 October 2012 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tristan Hume is currently offline Tristan HumeFriend
I am interested in fixing this bug. Ruby 1.9.3 and onward require the "debugger" gem (it also supports ruby 1.9.2)

For more information see Bug 345976
Re: Debugging Ruby on Eclipse [message #973973 is a reply to message #881838] Tue, 06 November 2012 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tristan Hume is currently offline Tristan HumeFriend
I have submitted a patch for this that allows the compiler to work on 1.8, 1.9.2 and 1.9.3 using the "debugger", "ruby-debug" or "ruby-debug19" gems.

Now I just have to find a Ruby DLTK commiter that can commit it... (I'm not entirely sure there are any DLTK Ruby commiters left.)
Re: Debugging Ruby on Eclipse [message #997104 is a reply to message #973973] Thu, 03 January 2013 17:37 Go to previous message
Steven Bishop is currently offline Steven BishopFriend
Hi,

Is there any news of whether your patch for Bug 345976 will be committed to org.eclipse.dltk.ruby.git repo.

Regards,

Steven
Previous Topic:Blank console window after running Ruby code
Next Topic:InterpreterInstallTypes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:45:51 GMT 2024