Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Scout vs Riena platform (Few questions related to Scout Project)
Scout vs Riena platform [message #769941] Fri, 23 December 2011 00:06 Go to next message
narayan  is currently offline narayan Friend
I just found scout project and watched your demo. I have few questions and can anyone more experienced in scout project help me to answer these questions?

I am just wondering does scout project and eclipse Riena platform has overlapping functionality or scout project uses Riena under the hood to provide rapid application development.

Do you have any plan of supporting window builder to design the UI?

Does scout project planning to add support to E4 dependency injection and programming model?

Thanks,
Re: Scout vs Riena platform [message #770046 is a reply to message #769941] Fri, 23 December 2011 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
Hi,

Scout and Riena have two independant codebases and none of them is based on the other. Sme of the functionality is similar, though the approach to get is very very different.

Regards
Chrstian campo
Projectlead Riena
Re: Scout vs Riena platform [message #770150 is a reply to message #769941] Fri, 23 December 2011 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bertin Kiekebosch is currently offline Bertin KiekeboschFriend
Hi,

did you notice this discussion, search for Proposal Feedback [message #579508]‎ by Martin Lippert in the Scout Forum. Its about Riena vs Rap.

and Scout and E4? [message #531521] by Werner Keil

I don't know if windowbuilder will be supported, but from my experience, building nice looking forms is easy with Scout. (compared to plain SWT or Swing).

Regards Bertin

Re: Scout vs Riena platform [message #770177 is a reply to message #770150] Fri, 23 December 2011 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Hier the links to the mentionned post:
* [message #579508]‎ Proposal Feedback
* [message #531521] Scout and E4?
Re: Scout vs Riena platform [message #770418 is a reply to message #769941] Sat, 24 December 2011 06:35 Go to previous message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Here my answers to the points you mentioned:

Eclipse Scout vs Eclipse Riena
The answers given by the project leader of Riena is correct. I think both projects have their strength and weakness. A comparison could be usefull.

Scout form builder (based on window builder)
Window builder is a very good framework. An implementation of a Scout Form Builder based on this framework would be great. This topic is often asked on the conferences where scout is presented. A prototype has been developed, but it isn't advanced enough for a public presentation.

E4 dependency injection and programming model
I think the "Outlook e4" section in the scout proposal is still valid.
It would be great to have Scout RT based on these concepts.
For now Scout has its own application model and uses its own concepts to render the same UI with different libraries, because it started before E4.
A move to Eclipse 4 (using its DI and model) is a big move, since a lot of the runtime code needs to be changed.

Previous Topic:AbstractCalendarField
Next Topic:Scout SWT UI improvement for Mac OS X
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:40:04 GMT 2024