3.6.0.RELEASE - Release Notes
The Sky (3.6.0) release of Virgo adds support for Java Enterprise APIs in Virgo Nano Web, introduces a rewritten and extended web administration console into all Virgo runtimes, and support Java 7.
The release also upgrades Gemini Web, including the embedded Apache Tomcat (with WebSocket support), Gemini Blueprint, Spring framework, Gogo, Logback, and SLF4J and delivers numerous smaller enhancements and bug fixes.
The Virgo committers would like to thank the following people for their contributions:
- Alex Antonov - for a bundlor fix
- David Normington - for the initial implementation of the web admin console wiring panel
- Polina Genova - for the bulk deployment feature of the Nano deployer
Java Enterprise API Support
Several open source Java Enterprise API implementations are integrated into Nano Web to support applications written to those APIs.
This dramatically lowers the barrier to adoption of Virgo for a large class of existing enterprise Java applications.
The following table shows the new APIs and the components that provide them.
|JavaServer Faces (JSF) 2||javax.faces.*||Mojarra|
|Servlet 3 and Java Server Pages||javax.servlet.*||Gemini Web (embedded Apache Tomcat)|
|Contexts and Dependency Injection (CDI)||javax.enterprise.context.*
|Enterprise JavaBean (EJB) 3.1 Lite||javax.ejb.*||OpenEjb|
|Bean Validation||javax.validation||Apache BVal|
|Java Persistence API (JPA) 2||javax.persistence.*||EclipseLink|
|Java Transaction API (JPA)||javax.transaction.*||JOTM|
New Web Administration Console
The web administration console, described in this blog, has been completely rewritten and extended and is now provided with all Virgo runtimes.
Below are samples of the various panels - click on a panel to see it at full size in a separate window. Each panel is displayed only on Virgo runtimes that support it, which essentially means that certain panels are not available on Nano and Nano Web.
Java 7 Support
Java 7 is now supported in addition to Java 6.
- Bulk hot deployment of initial pickup artifacts in Virgo Nano
- All Virgo distributions' p2 profiles published with a custom Java Server Profile such that the p2 resolution exactly matches the runtime content
- Work directory paths shortened to alleviate Windows filesystem limitations.
- Bundles and WAR files may be deployed in packed form to shorten work directory paths further. See the User Guide for the kernel configuration property deployer.unpackBundles.
- New 'tee' system stream capture mode - prints both system output and error streams in the logs and on the default system output
- Support for nested web context paths in Nano Web - allows users to install WARs with web context paths of the form 'my/war/application'
- Support for Spring framework 3.2.x
- Fragments may attach to multiple hosts for closer conformance to the OSGi specifications
- Logging configuration may be changed without restarting Virgo, via the web admin console or JMX
Migration to 3.6.0
Users migrating from earlier releases should consult the migration notes.
- Equinox is upgraded to its Juno SR1 version
- Gemini Web is upgraded to 2.2.0 (embedded Apache Tomcat is upgraded to 7.0.32 with WebSocket support)
- Gemini Blueprint is upgraded to 1.0.2
- Spring framework is upgraded to 3.1.0
- Apache Felix Gogo is updated to version 0.10.0.
- Logback is updated to version 1.0.7.
- SLF4J is updated to version 1.7.2
Enhancements and Fixes
A full list of bugs and enhancements included in this release is available here.