Project Plan For UML2, version 5.3.0
This document lays out the feature and API set for the next release of the Eclipse Unified Modeling Language 2.x (UML2) Project, version 5.3.0. This project plan inherits from the Modeling Project Plan, which should be referenced when consulting this individual project plan.
The release deliverables have the same form as is found in most Eclipse projects, namely:
- UML2 source code release, available as versions tagged "R5_3" in the project's git repository.
- UML2 SDK (includes runtime, sources, examples, and documentation) (downloadable and update site).
- UML2 runtime binary distribution (downloadable and update site).
- UML2 stand-alone binary distribution (downloadable).
- UML2 tests
Release milestone occurring at roughly 6 week intervals and follow the Platform milestone releases by approximately 1 day; that is, until the final 4.7 release of the Platform, upon which UML2 and other projects will release simultaneously. As UML2 is a dependency of numerous other projects, UML2 will deliver its milestones within one day of the Eclipse Platform. It is anticipated that UML2 will synchronize its milestones with the Oxygen milestone schedule.
UML2 will produce update releases to align with the Neon.1, and Neon.2, and Neon.3 releases, that includes the Eclipse Platform 4.6.1, 4.6.2, and 4.6.3 releases. UML2 may produce interim update releases in addition to these in order to satisfy clients requests.
- Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - UML2 5.2.1 maintenance release (Neon.1)
- Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - UML2 5.2.2 maintenance release (Neon.2)
- Thursday, March 23, 2017 - UML2 5.2.3 maintenance release (Neon.3)
- A list of issues indicated for the 5.2.x maintenance stream can be found in Bugzilla, or by using links on maintenance stream build pages.
In order to remain current, each Eclipse release targets reasonably current versions of the underlying operating environments. The Eclipse Unified Modeling Language 2.x (UML2) project depends upon on the Platform and other projects, which are mostly "pure" Java. The 4.7 release of the Eclipse Platform Project is written and compiled against versions 1.6 and 1.7 of the Java Platform APIs, and targeted to run on version 1.6 of the Java Runtime Environment, Standard Edition. UML2 will target the same Java version as EMF, which currently also requires Java 6. Eclipse Platform SDK 4.7 will be tested and validated on a number of reference platforms. UML2 will be tested and validated against a subset of those listed for the platform.
The Eclipse Platform is designed as the basis for internationalized products. The user interface elements provided by the Eclipse SDK components, including dialogs and error messages, are externalized. The English strings are provided as the default resource bundles. As a result, the UML2 project will provide English strings in its default bundles and be localized to a subset of those locales offered by the Platform. This plan will be updated to indicate which locales will be provided and the time frame for availability.
Compatibility with Previous Releases
Compatibility of Release 5.3: The UML2 project will be developed in parallel, and released simultaneously, with the following projects. As stated above, each milestone release of the UML2 project will be compatible with the corresponding milestones for each of these projects, and delivered the appropriate offset.
- Eclipse Platform SDK version 4.7
- Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF) version 2.13
Themes and Priorities
A list of project requirements and agreed upon implementation time frames is found in this document. For the milestones listed in this document, a set of overall themes is used to indicate what major set of functionalities is to be concentrated on for each. These themes are presented below, while the requirements document and associated Bugzilla entries are left to those wanting more detailed information on each.
The UML2 project has a proven track record of quality and reliability. Service and support will take priority over new development work; commitments and schedules are subject to arbitrary change, slippage, or even deferral.
- No items.
- No items.
- No items.
Appendix Legal Notices
- Java is a trademark or a registered trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc.
- UML and OMG are trademarks or registered trademark of the Object Management GroupTM, Inc.
- All other products or company names are mentioned for identification purposes only, and may be trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.