Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Communications Framework (ECF) » Docshare for Ecore Editor
Docshare for Ecore Editor [message #1718498] Fri, 25 December 2015 00:12 Go to next message
UmaShankar Subramani is currently offline UmaShankar SubramaniFriend
I need to provide document sharing for Ecore Editors. I chose ECF and hence DocShare to start with. I started working on it.

Yes, I know that it is not gonna be a simple task. Because, the existing docshare plugin only supports text editors!!!

Just started. So far, succeeded by adding MenuContribution to EcoreEditor Cool .

Is there any existing work on this, that anyone know about?

Or can someone give me some tips related to this?

[Updated on: Fri, 25 December 2015 00:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Docshare for Ecore Editor [message #1718499 is a reply to message #1718498] Fri, 25 December 2015 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Lewis is currently offline Scott LewisFriend
UmaShankar Subramani wrote on Thu, 24 December 2015 19:12
I need to provide document sharing for Ecore Editors. I chose ECF and hence DocShare to start with. I started working on it.

Yes, I know that it is not gonna be a simple task. Because, the existing docshare plugin only supports text editors!!!

Just started. So far, succeeded by adding MenuContribution to EcoreEditor Cool .

Is there any existing work on this, that anyone know about?

Hi UmaShankar,

Unfortunately there is no ongoing work on supporting Ecore Editors with docshare...at least as far as we (ECF committers) know.

However, years ago there was some work that attempted to abstract the synchronization strategy and allow alternative sychronization strategies to be used. This work is in this bundle: org.eclipse.ecf.sync which is here:

http://git.eclipse.org/c/ecf/org.eclipse.ecf.git/tree/framework/bundles/org.eclipse.ecf.sync

The reason this was started was that we wanted to be able to support using operational transformation with other types of editors (other than just text editors). Unfortunately, the committer leading this work (Mustafa Isik...see: https://vimeo.com/1195398 has not been active on the project for some time.

It's possible that Mustafa could/would get back involved if someone else was willing to take the sync work further in the direction of supporting structured editors. As project lead I would welcome and support such efforts. If you would like to continue this work with me and the other committers please join the ecf-dev mailing list...see here:

https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/ecf-dev

I will do what I can to support additional work in this area myself, but I am time limited since my involvement is volunteer. I can, however, provide professional support for a fee if that's feasible.

Thanks. I hope we can move this forward...I would like to see a revived effort around the sync API/operational transformation/shared editing with other types of editors.

Thanks.

Scott
Re: Docshare for Ecore Editor [message #1718500 is a reply to message #1718499] Fri, 25 December 2015 01:24 Go to previous message
UmaShankar Subramani is currently offline UmaShankar SubramaniFriend
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply.

It is my pleasure to contribute to ECF. I have already joined the mailing list.

I will let you know if I have any questions.

/Uma

Previous Topic:Cannot connect to my Gmail or MSN accounts
Next Topic:Cannot connect to my Gmail or MSN accounts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:51:48 GMT 2024