Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EPF » EPF Composer Workproduct State Machine(possibility ro add a state machine to a workproduct)
EPF Composer Workproduct State Machine [message #1621460] Tue, 17 February 2015 22:46 Go to next message
Vincenzo De is currently offline Vincenzo DeFriend
Hi everyone,
I'm new to epf and to SPEM 2.
Reading the Spem 2 documentation it says that it should be possible to add a state machine to a workproduct. Following the EPF tutorial and searching around I don't understand if EPF Composer allows that.
Is it possible to do that in some way in EPF?

Thanks a lot!
Re: EPF Composer Workproduct State Machine [message #1621968 is a reply to message #1621460] Wed, 18 February 2015 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Onno van der Straaten is currently offline Onno van der StraatenFriend
If it is possible, you should do this by using the workproduct in a process. I have done this with RMC not EPF so I'm not sure.

In the process part you should be able to model inputs, outputs, entry and exit criteria. So this is the EPF equivalent of a state machine.
Re: EPF Composer Workproduct State Machine [message #1624192 is a reply to message #1621968] Thu, 19 February 2015 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vincenzo De is currently offline Vincenzo DeFriend
Thanks, I saw that it is possible to define exit and entry state related to a workproduct usage in a process. But although you define states in the workproduct there is no validation for these values (the entry and exit state can accept every values). I can't figure out a way to have a vision of all the state transitions related to the workproduct, given the fact that I define Entry and exit states for different tasks of a process.
Is it not possible to add to a workproduct related to a process a state machine explicitly or to have a vision of that?

[Updated on: Thu, 19 February 2015 17:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: EPF Composer Workproduct State Machine [message #1693265 is a reply to message #1624192] Wed, 22 April 2015 18:03 Go to previous message
Bruce MacIsaac is currently offline Bruce MacIsaacFriend
Work products and state machines are an interesting problem that EPF composer doesn't yet elegantly address.

I found a workaround that I think works well enough.
Here is what I do:

1. I create a diagram using visio or some other drawing tool, and include that image on the artifact page.
Here is an example:
https://jazz.net/bro_practices/#devops.practice.mgmt.pgm_cont_change.base-ibm/workproducts/release_plan_E0C4BB12.html

2. I create sub-artifacts for each of the states that are important to further document, or that are important to call out as inputs or outputs from tasks.
In my example, these are the "At risk" and "Committed" states.

3. I uses these sub-artifacts as inputs and outputs in tasks, such as this one:
https://jazz.net/bro_practices/#devops.practice.mgmt.pgm_cont_change.base-ibm/tasks/steer_release_plan_4B95EF3A.html

I found this works pretty well.
Let me know what you think.
Previous Topic:Export EPF to Aris
Next Topic:Specifying work products that appear in Work Product Breakdown
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:59:09 GMT 2024