Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field(I need to place my current Group Footer in the Master Page footer but I need it to still act as though it were a Group Footer)
Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1621290] Tue, 17 February 2015 20:19 Go to next message
Keegan Pena is currently offline Keegan PenaFriend
Hello all,

My problem is that I have a Header, repeating accounting lines grouped by a Vendor, and a Footer and both the Header and Footer must have a fixed position on the page and display data associated with that Vendor, which changes throughout. I would like for any overflow of the accounting lines to be pushed to the next page naturally without using the Intervals setting on the Group.
So, my solution is to place the Footer on the Master Page and use Global Variables to change the data to the current XML data that is being used by the Group. I have already tried to bind the grid on the Master Page to XML, but it only displays the first Vendor's information.

Will variables fix this, or is there another solution?

Edit: Here are the files. I am currently using an Interval Range of 2 and I for either the Interval Range to change once we get to the second page of the Vendor (keep in mind there will be multiple Vendors), or to have the Footer placed in the Master Page (so that excessive accounting lines don't push it off the first page) and have the data in the Footer still change depending on the Vendor

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keegan

[Updated on: Wed, 18 February 2015 17:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1621400 is a reply to message #1621290] Tue, 17 February 2015 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

Can you attach a sample that uses the classic models sample database that shows your setup that's not working for you? Thanks.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1624111 is a reply to message #1621290] Thu, 19 February 2015 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again,

I wasn't sure if a notification was sent by just editing my first post, so I wanted to send another just in case. Here is the edit message I placed on my first page

Edit: Here are the files. I am currently using an Interval Range of 2 and I for either the Interval Range to change once we get to the second page of the Vendor (keep in mind there will be multiple Vendors), or to have the Footer placed in the Master Page (so that excessive accounting lines don't push it off the first page) and have the data in the Footer still change depending on the Vendor

The attachments are on my first post

Thank you,
Keegan
Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1624624 is a reply to message #1621290] Thu, 19 February 2015 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I went ahead and modified your design to use the classic models sample database to have actual data and multiple customers/groups. I think the attached does what you're looking for, but maybe not. See the script section in the outline to see where all I used script. I used page variables and passed the values from the current group of the table through persistent global variables to the page variables. From here, I was able to use auto text elements on the master page footer to pull the values from the current page for display in the footer at the bottom of the page. If there are too many credit/debit entries for a single page, they automatically go to the next page, but the same footer appears on both pages. Hopefully this is what you envisioned. Let me know if you have questions.

Note: This requires separate run and render tasks or you'll be a group behind in the footer. To see this from the designer, run the report in the web viewer. If you want to see it in pdf, change the url of the resulting web viewer page to say format=pdf instead of format=html. This will show you how PDF will look with separate tasks.

Michael

Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1625909 is a reply to message #1624624] Fri, 20 February 2015 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Michael,

Thank you very much for the timely response and attention to this problem. I have been reviewing your solution all morning and running tests against our system. It seems that I must have it work using "view PDF" because our system functions in the same way and I have no access to the back-end to separate the run and render processes; so, I don't think having the footer in the master page will work for me. The report design you have provided would be perfect if I didn't have to output a PDF....

With that said, is there any way to change the Interval Range dynamically? My current setup uses Intervals so that the footer is not pushed out of place, but I only want the footer at the bottom on the first page so it would leave some white space on the second page. So it would be nice if we could change the Interval Range or get rid of it all together for the second page because if I have the interval at 6 and there are 100 lines total, then that is a lot of wasted space.

Thank you so much for your help,
Keegan
Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1625952 is a reply to message #1625909] Fri, 20 February 2015 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

For interval are you talking about interval groups? I believe there is a setting to let the first group be a smaller number than the rest, to account for headers and what not.

Let me see if I can come up with a different solution for you on this report. I have an idea that might work. Smile

Michael

Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1625965 is a reply to message #1625952] Fri, 20 February 2015 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well for intervals yes I am talking about interval groups, but changing the range within the same group. For example, if there is 100 lines in the first invoice I want to be able to limit the first page to 6 lines and the second page to 20 or limitless.

Thank you,
Keegan
Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1625985 is a reply to message #1625965] Fri, 20 February 2015 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Exactly. In the interval group on your table, select the check box below the drop down where you selected the interval group. It says something about fixed base interval. If I remember right, you'd put 6 in the text box that activates when you check the box and your 20 in the interval text box above.

Michael

Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1626154 is a reply to message #1625985] Fri, 20 February 2015 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, I had no idea that's how that worked! Thank you so much! I've been racking my brain trying to figure out this problem for a week now.

Thank you very much again. You are a life saver Smile

Keegan
Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1626338 is a reply to message #1626154] Fri, 20 February 2015 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You're very welcome. Let us know whenever you have questions! Smile

Michael

Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1633262 is a reply to message #1626338] Tue, 24 February 2015 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have one last question:

Since the footer has to be on the Layout, and if the dynamic text is bigger than the space allotted, is there any way to make the dynamic text flow over to the next page instead of just being cutoff?

Right now I am just guesstimating how much space I will need for the dynamic text, but I have no clue what it will be. It could be 1k characters for all I know.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Keegan
Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1633357 is a reply to message #1633262] Tue, 24 February 2015 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Where does the dynamic text value come from? A data set?

Michael

Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1633415 is a reply to message #1633357] Tue, 24 February 2015 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it comes from an XML data tag
Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1633424 is a reply to message #1633415] Tue, 24 February 2015 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

So, you can keep track of the rows per page and then, when you get to the dynamic text box, you can check the length of the text in the onCreate script and set the page break before based on a calculation of whether it'll fit or not.

Michael

Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1633449 is a reply to message #1633424] Tue, 24 February 2015 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, so how do I set a page break? Because I need to keep the footer on the first page.
Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1654956 is a reply to message #1633449] Fri, 06 March 2015 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The table footer will always go to the last page. You'd have to separate your table into two tables to have a page footer on the first page and then "continue the table" with your second table on the second page (using filters to get the right rows showing).

Michael

Re: Dynamic Master Page footer based on XML data field [message #1779103 is a reply to message #1633449] Tue, 02 January 2018 20:35 Go to previous message
Matt Xenakis is currently offline Matt XenakisFriend
Hi -

I'm looking to add an employee ID field to the master page footer of my report. I looked at the file attached as an example. I'm running into an issue with the first page footer isn't returning a value. Then the second page returns the employee id from the first page. When I run the attached report is see the same behavior. Did you find a solution to this?

Thank you!
Previous Topic:Sub Reports on Scripted datasets
Next Topic:Runtime error while using BIRT homemade emitter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:26:14 GMT 2024