Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working(Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working)
Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611711] Wed, 11 February 2015 15:14 Go to next message
Al Koch is currently offline Al KochFriend
Hello,

I am running Kepler and used Update Manager to install the Report Designer 4.3.2 plug-in and associated modules. It appears that everything installed properly and I have been able to define a Data Source and then design multiple reports. I can use the toolbar icon and view the reports as HTML, PDF and XLSX but here the "View Report in Web Viewer" also fails to work (although the window that pops up does show the "menu bar"). When I select the pane for a report there is a delay of about 10 seconds and then the pane "flashes" and is continues to be blank. (Actually, there is a Refresh button and a message stating that there is a limit of 500 rows across the top of the pane but the rest of the pane is empty.)

Can anyone explain why this has happened and how to fix this? Nothing in all that I have read suggests that the report engine has to be installed and running for this to work but is that correct?

Thank you.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 February 2015 15:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611717 is a reply to message #1611711] Wed, 11 February 2015 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

This feature has actually been removed from the latest versions. Using external browsers is the preferred method and also gives you the best idea of what your report will actually look like in production. I think there was a fix that some people were able to get to work that was listed in a bug report. If I find it, I'll post the link in here.

To use external browsers, go to Window ->Preferences->Report Design->Preview and select the use external browsers check box.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611730 is a reply to message #1611717] Wed, 11 February 2015 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Here is one bug that talks about a similar issue. I'm not finding the one I'm thinking of, but many issues resulted in this to stop working. Browser changes, Windows 8, Java 8, etc. I think were all things that changed that caused issues for some people. Either way, the external browser should work for all outputs and is also the recommended way to view your reports.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=425786

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611736 is a reply to message #1611717] Wed, 11 February 2015 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the (super) prompt response!

OK, it being removed isn't a problem but I was concerned that it indicated something was wrong with my installation. (Any idea why the tab is still there?)

However, I still can't view using the toolbar icon's drop down and selecting "View Report in Web Viewer". Can you confirm that this requires the report engine to be running? (I will be posting a question shortly about problems getting that running)

Thanks for your help.

Al

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611737 is a reply to message #1611736] Wed, 11 February 2015 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The tab wasn't removed until 4.4 as the issue was seemingly intermittent for certain setups. If you were to upgrade, you wouldn't have the tab any longer.

Have you gone into the preferences and changed to use external browser? If you do this, the web viewer output should work. If you have already done so and it's not working, let me know.

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611761 is a reply to message #1611737] Wed, 11 February 2015 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611768 is a reply to message #1611761] Wed, 11 February 2015 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Not sure if you meant to post something or not, but you'll have to try it again. Smile

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611784 is a reply to message #1611761] Wed, 11 February 2015 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

Sorry, I posted my last response before Is saw yours! I changed the Preferences to use the external browser (Firefox). That fixes a problem I hadn't posted yet which was getting an empty window that should have shown a prompt for a parameter when I used the View Report toolbar icon to display as HTML. So, that fixes that.

What I still have is the problem that if I use the View Report toolbar icon and try to View using the Web Viewer I only see the Viewer's "tool bar". I did a View Source and the HTML for the prompt appears to be there but it is not being displayed! Any ideas on how to get that working?

Thanks again.

Al
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611793 is a reply to message #1611784] Wed, 11 February 2015 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Have you tried using Chrome or IE to see if they work properly? What is your OS? Also, what version of Java are you using?

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611800 is a reply to message #1611793] Wed, 11 February 2015 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611801 is a reply to message #1611800] Wed, 11 February 2015 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

It acts the same way if I use IE (I don't have Chrome installed). Also, I am running Java 8 Update 31 on Windows 7 Ultimate.

Before we go further I suppose I should use the Designer 4.4 that you mentioned above - I just installed the plugin last week and got 4.3. However, I just tried Help | Check for Updates and it didn't find an update for 4.3! Can you tell me why this happened and how to get 4.4 so I'm using the latest version?

Thanks again.

Al
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611808 is a reply to message #1611801] Wed, 11 February 2015 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You'll need to have Eclipse 4.4 to upgrade to BIRT 4.4. You can download from eclipse.org/birt. 4.4.1 is the latest version. 4.4.2 will release later this month.

You could try forcing Eclipse to use Java 7 to see if that solves your issue. I thing Java 8 support will be part of the 4.5 release (June/July timeframe).

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1611994 is a reply to message #1611808] Wed, 11 February 2015 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael ,

Well, I updated to Luna (4.4) but that (of course) required updating other plug-ins. I finally got all updated and now have BIRT 4.4. However, I still have a problem where the View with Web Viewer fails. But now, we have a different failure.

I see that the BIRT.war is being deployed in the JBoss 7 server (11:05:09,992 INFO [org.jboss.as.server] (DeploymentScanner-threads - 2) JBAS018559: Deployed "birt.war"). But when I select View Report in Web Viewer Firefox now shows:
HTTP ERROR: 500

Problem accessing /viewer/frameset. Reason:

Server Error

(Also, I was wrong about Java. Java 8 is installed but Eclipse is pointed at the Java 7 RTE).

Can you help me discover why we are now failing (seems like I went backwards after the update!)

Thanks.

Al

[Updated on: Wed, 11 February 2015 19:10]

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1612000 is a reply to message #1611994] Wed, 11 February 2015 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You're deploying the viewer to JBoss and it's failing? I think Jetty is still used as the server when running from the designer. Let me know.

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1612031 is a reply to message #1612000] Wed, 11 February 2015 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes. I missed the very last line of the error message above which was:

Powered by Jetty://

However, I don't understand the significance of this.

Here is something else. If I test the server by accessing (from the local machine) at the local machine's address as ipaddress:port/birt/ we see the BIRT greeting page. But if I use http://localhost:port/birt/ we get:
HTTP ERROR: 404

Problem accessing /birt/. Reason:

Not Found

Powered by Jetty://

How can that happen since "ipaddress" above is the loca host? Does that provide a clue?

Also, I cannot locate instructions for how to "configure" the engine at least for the database driver. Since I haven't done this that may be the cause of some of these problems. How is this done for JBoss 7?

Thanks,
Al

[Updated on: Wed, 11 February 2015 20:09]

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1612064 is a reply to message #1612031] Wed, 11 February 2015 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The port used for the BIRT session from the designer isn't a fixed port, unless you specify a specific port. That could be part of why it's not finding the viewer when you enter an address like that. From the designer, you can find these settings in Window->Preferences->Report Design->Preview->Preview Server.

As for Jetty, I was just confused about you saying it was running on JBoss.

As for the Java 8 issue, I feel like I ran into the issue that even though Eclipse was pointing at 7, it still actually ran on 8 when it was installed (I have since deleted Java 8 altogether). Is there any way you can try uninstalling Java 8 completely to see if that solves the issue. I understand this might not work for you long term, but it'd help in discovering if that's the issue.

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1612083 is a reply to message #1612064] Wed, 11 February 2015 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

1) I had already accessed that and had set the Host Name = localhost and Port = port_that_jboss_is_running_on so I'm not sure what I've got wrong there. Plus, why would it work when I use the ipaddress but not when I use localhost, especially since is set Host Name = localhost? Can you clarify this?

2) I'm a little confused by your statement about Jetty - just to be clear, I have BIRT.war deployed under JBoss 7.

3) Before I tr and remove Java 8, I'd like to get these other issues cleared up so that I may not have to do that.

Thanks very much,
Al
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1612100 is a reply to message #1612083] Wed, 11 February 2015 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hey Al,

1) This won't run your reports on the BIRT war file you deployed to JBoss. You'll have to manually move your designs to the war file to run them on JBoss. If you have the BIRT war file deployed to JBoss and have started (or if already running, restarted) your JBoss server, you should be able to go to http://localhost:JBossPort/birt/ and get the welcome page. If this isn't working, let me know.

2) There is a viewer installed inside of your Eclipse designer that runs on Jetty. This internal server and viewer allows you to test your reports from the designer before actually deploying them to a viewer running on an external JBoss, Tomcat, etc. server. This way you aren't constantly moving reports from the designer to your deployed viewer just to test that they work properly.

3) Okay. Smile

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1612133 is a reply to message #1612100] Wed, 11 February 2015 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

Let me take a moment and thank you for all of the great responses in such a short period of time. I really appreciate it.

1) OK, that makes sense but that leaves a couple of questions:
a) Can you explain why localhost:jBossPort/birt fails but ipaddress_of_localhost:jBossPort works?
b) Given what you just said, how/when would the View Report in Web Viewer ever work?
c) How/where do I deploy (copy) the report files to the birt.war server? There is no folder structure available into which I would copy these files. Further, can you point me to documentation that allows me to configure the server? I have read https://www.eclipse.org/birt/documentation/integrating/viewer-usage.php but it discusses modifying a web.xml file but I don't appear to have access to anything at all.

2) Thanks for explaining where Jetty comes into the mix.

Thanks,
Al
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1612198 is a reply to message #1612133] Wed, 11 February 2015 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1)
a) It means that your JBoss is working, but your viewer is not working. Do you get anything in your log files? You're saying you just get a 500 error when trying to go through JBoss? This would probably mean that the viewer is not properly deployed.
b) I'm assuming you followed the instructions I gave inside the designer to set the use of external browsers only, correct? The next thing you'll need to do is go back to the preview server page and remove the host and port settings you put there. (All versions of BIRT I have work properly in all three major browsers FF, IE, and Chrome with external browser)
c) You would have to extract the war (Jboss should actually do this for you when you start/restart it, if you deployed it in the proper location). You could also try just using the WebViewerExample folder which is just the war file extracted. You can rename the WebViewerExample folder anything you'd like and call the application with the name you give it.

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1612204 is a reply to message #1612198] Wed, 11 February 2015 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

More information on the sample viewer from the BIRT Developer Center:

http://developer.actuate.com/deployment-center/deployment-guides/birt-engine-and-sample-viewer/

You might also look into using the BIRT iHub F-Type Freemium Server as a deployment option.

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1612396 is a reply to message #1612204] Thu, 12 February 2015 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

Making progress!

As you suggested, I used the WebViewerExample folder and renamed it to birt.war. I also placed my JDBC driver in birt.war\WEB-INF\lib. Finally I created a very simple report (Test.rptdesign) and copied it into birt.war. I can now (outside of Eclipse) just use Firefox and navigate to http://ipaddress:jBossPort/birt/frameset?__report=Test.rptdesign and it works! So it appears that the engine is now working under jBoss for me. However, when I copy any of my "real" reports and try to view I get the following error. (Note that all of these reports display correctly when I access them from the Designer in Eclipse using View Report as HTML):
16:59:14,633 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[default-host].[/birt].[ViewerServlet]] (http--0.0.0.0-28887-34) Servlet.service() for servlet ViewerServlet threw exception: java.lang.AssertionError
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.OverriddenValuesState.<init>(OverriddenValuesState.java:64) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ReportElementState.startElement(ReportElementState.java:788) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.SimpleMasterPageState.startElement(SimpleMasterPageState.java:69) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
... more I didn't paste here.

This is confusing because the engine appears to be working since it display my Test report and my "real" reports appear to be working because they display properly in the Designer in Eclipse with View report as HTML but something is going wrong with the combination. I have even copied over the Library and Template (to the same location as the reports) used to build the "real" reports but I still have this error.

Can you tell from the error trace what is wrong?

Thanks,
Al
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1613150 is a reply to message #1612396] Thu, 12 February 2015 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Can you post the entire stack?

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1613622 is a reply to message #1613150] Thu, 12 February 2015 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

Here's the full stack:

11:48:23,811 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[default-host].[/birt].[ViewerServlet]] (http--0.0.0.0-28887-4) Servlet.service() for servlet ViewerServlet threw exception: java.lang.AssertionError
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.OverriddenValuesState.<init>(OverriddenValuesState.java:64) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ReportElementState.startElement(ReportElementState.java:788) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.SimpleMasterPageState.startElement(SimpleMasterPageState.java:69) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleParserHandler.startElement(ModuleParserHandler.java:260) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source) [org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.v201101211617.jar:]
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source) [org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.v201101211617.jar:]
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source) [org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.v201101211617.jar:]
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source) [org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.v201101211617.jar:]
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source) [org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.v201101211617.jar:]
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source) [org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.v201101211617.jar:]
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source) [org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.v201101211617.jar:]
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source) [org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.v201101211617.jar:]
at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source) [org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.v201101211617.jar:]
at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(Unknown Source) [org.apache.xerces_2.9.0.v201101211617.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleReader.readModule(ModuleReader.java:98) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.DesignReader.read(DesignReader.java:88) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.core.DesignSessionImpl.openDesign(DesignSessionImpl.java:309) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.api.SessionHandleImpl.openDesign(SessionHandleImpl.java:294) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.api.SessionHandle.openDesign(SessionHandle.java:1) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.parser.ReportParser.getDesignHandle(ReportParser.java:158) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineHelper.getReportDesignHandle(ReportEngineHelper.java:255) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineHelper.openReportDesign(ReportEngineHelper.java:274) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngine.openReportDesign(ReportEngine.java:616) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.service.ReportEngineService.openReportDesign(ReportEngineService.java:395) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.utility.BirtUtility.getRunnableFromDesignFile(BirtUtility.java:608) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.ViewerAttributeBean.getDesignHandle(ViewerAttributeBean.java:644) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.ViewerAttributeBean.__init(ViewerAttributeBean.java:224) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.BaseAttributeBean.init(BaseAttributeBean.java:230) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.ViewerAttributeBean.<init>(ViewerAttributeBean.java:118) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.BirtContext.__init(BirtContext.java:44) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.BaseContext.<init>(BaseContext.java:69) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.BirtContext.<init>(BirtContext.java:30) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.ViewerServlet.__getContext(ViewerServlet.java:150) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.doGet(BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.java:151) [viewservlets.jar:]
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:734) [jboss-servlet-api_3.0_spec-1.0.0.Final.jar:1.0.0.Final]
at org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.service(AxisServletBase.java:327) [axis.jar:]
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:847) [jboss-servlet-api_3.0_spec-1.0.0.Final.jar:1.0.0.Final]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.service(BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.java:122) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:329) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:248) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.filter.ViewerFilter.doFilter(ViewerFilter.java:68) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:280) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:248) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:275) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:161) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.jboss.as.web.security.SecurityContextAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityContextAssociationValve.java:153) [jboss-as-web-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:155) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:368) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:877) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:671) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:930) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722) [rt.jar:1.7.0_11]

Thanks,
Al
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1613787 is a reply to message #1613622] Thu, 12 February 2015 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

This is in your JBoss deployment, correct? Have you removed org.apache.xerces and org.apache.xml.serializer from the WEB-INF/lib folder in the WebViewerExample folder?

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1613803 is a reply to message #1613787] Thu, 12 February 2015 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, this is under jBoss 7.

I have a very simple "test" report that does run, it is just all of my "real reports" that are failing. Unlike the simple test report the real ones use a Library and a template.

I've tried it both ways. The stack you looked at was with the two jars in place. Here is a slightly different stack with both of them removed:

14:31:17,821 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[default-host].[/birt].[ViewerServlet]] (http--0.0.0.0-28887-37) Servlet.service() for servlet ViewerServlet threw exception: java.lang.AssertionError
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleParserHandler.startElement(ModuleParserHandler.java:260) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(AbstractSAXParser.java:496)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:827)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1653)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:324)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:845)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:768)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:108)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1196)
at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:555)
at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:289)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.ModuleReader.readModule(ModuleReader.java:98) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.parser.DesignReader.read(DesignReader.java:88) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.core.DesignSessionImpl.openDesign(DesignSessionImpl.java:309) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.api.SessionHandleImpl.openDesign(SessionHandleImpl.java:294) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.model.api.SessionHandle.openDesign(SessionHandle.java:1) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.parser.ReportParser.getDesignHandle(ReportParser.java:158) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineHelper.getReportDesignHandle(ReportEngineHelper.java:255) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngineHelper.openReportDesign(ReportEngineHelper.java:274) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.api.impl.ReportEngine.openReportDesign(ReportEngine.java:616) [org.eclipse.birt.runtime_4.4.1.v20140916-1320.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.service.ReportEngineService.openReportDesign(ReportEngineService.java:395) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.utility.BirtUtility.getRunnableFromDesignFile(BirtUtility.java:608) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.ViewerAttributeBean.getDesignHandle(ViewerAttributeBean.java:644) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.ViewerAttributeBean.__init(ViewerAttributeBean.java:224) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.BaseAttributeBean.init(BaseAttributeBean.java:230) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.ViewerAttributeBean.<init>(ViewerAttributeBean.java:118) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.BirtContext.__init(BirtContext.java:44) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.BaseContext.<init>(BaseContext.java:69) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.context.BirtContext.<init>(BirtContext.java:30) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.ViewerServlet.__getContext(ViewerServlet.java:150) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.doGet(BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.java:151) [viewservlets.jar:]
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:734) [jboss-servlet-api_3.0_spec-1.0.0.Final.jar:1.0.0.Final]
at org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.service(AxisServletBase.java:327) [axis.jar:]
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:847) [jboss-servlet-api_3.0_spec-1.0.0.Final.jar:1.0.0.Final]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.service(BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.java:122) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:329) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.eclipse.birt.report.filter.ViewerFilter.doFilter(ViewerFilter.java:68) [viewservlets.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:280) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:275) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:161) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.jboss.as.web.security.SecurityContextAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityContextAssociationValve.java:153) [jboss-as-web-7.1.1.Final.jar:7.1.1.Final]
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:155) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:368) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:877) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:671) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:930) [jbossweb-7.0.13.Final.jar:]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722) [rt.jar:1.7.0_11]

Thanks!

Al
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1613824 is a reply to message #1613803] Thu, 12 February 2015 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

At first glance, I don't see a difference.

I've not deployed 4.4 to JBoss 7. I might have to give it a try. The old instructions for JBoss may no longer apply. I dunno.

Here are the old instructions: https://wiki.eclipse.org/BirtPOJO_Viewer_JBOSS_Deployment

Is there anything special you're doing in your report design? Connection profile? Did you deploy your database Jar if using JDBC? Anything else special about the designs that aren't working?

Edit: Ah, sorry, I didn't see you said you used a library and a template. Where did you place your designs/libraries in the web viewer deployment?

Michael

[Updated on: Thu, 12 February 2015 22:58]

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1613832 is a reply to message #1613824] Thu, 12 February 2015 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

I placed the Library and Template files in the same folder as where the reports are - the birt.war folder. I can run the simple test report from this location but none of the "real" reports. Some of these "real" reports use a Group and an Aggregation but not all. The only common factor that jumps out at me that they all have in common that the test report doesn't have is that they all use the Library & Template. If I put those two in the wrong place that would be a problem. Where should they go?

Thanks,
Al
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1613843 is a reply to message #1613832] Thu, 12 February 2015 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Your deployment folder structure would need to match your design structure, probably, so you'd need the same structure from the root of your deployment as in your workspace in the designer. Can you make a design and library for me that uses the sample database that fails for you and I'll just try it out.

Michael

Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1614201 is a reply to message #1613843] Fri, 13 February 2015 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

Your response was the key! I created a new test report that depended on a Template that used a Library that was placed on the same folder as the new report. I then copied both to the server so that their relative relationship was the same (both in the same folder). That's all it took. The report came up fine so I suspect that if I redo all of my reports to use a Template that references a Library that is in the same folder as the reports they will all work. (I didn't realize that there was a dynamic link between a report and a Library. Since there is I see why the Library has to be deployed along with the report and in the "same path".)

I have a final question on this issue. What is the purpose of the "report" folder birt.war folder? I initially tried to put the reports there and launch with http://ipaddress:jBossPort/birt/report/frameset?__report=test.rptdesign but got a "resource not available" error. If I can't place reports here how can I create a folder structure to organize them? Is there a "standard" that most people adhere to?

Thanks again.
Al
1)
Re: Report Designer 4.3.2 Preview Not Working [message #1614919 is a reply to message #1614201] Fri, 13 February 2015 15:31 Go to previous message

Great! Glad it's working, now.

As for the report folder, if you put your reports in here, you'd call them by http://localhost:8080/birt/frameset?__report=report/test.rptdesign since the root folder of the web viewer is the default location for designs. If you changed it to be the reports folder in the web.xml, you could not put the "report" part of the location. This folder is really meant for if your design environment has a folder in your workspace for reports, one for libraries, etc. You would rename this report folder to whatever name you used. Then, add a library folder, etc. to mimic your design environment structure.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Previous Topic:Customization of Birt
Next Topic:where is the official tutorial of writing javascript in birt report?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:21:16 GMT 2024