Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Kura » Metatype configuration supported data types - tables/lists?(Does kura metatype support complex types like lists with multiple columns or editable tables)
Metatype configuration supported data types - tables/lists? [message #1592110] Thu, 29 January 2015 23:09 Go to next message
Dan Cristian is currently offline Dan CristianFriend
I was wondering if OSGI-INF/metatype/xxx.xml configuration file supports more complex types like lists with multiple columns or editable tables.

I am looking for something similar with the elements found on the kura Admin pages (Firewall or Packages) as I would like for example to be able to edit in a config interface the setting for all 60+ GPIO pins on BBB and avoid a very large xml file with simple fields like strings and boolean values.

Thanks for any guidance.
Re: Metatype configuration supported data types - tables/lists? [message #1593563 is a reply to message #1592110] Fri, 30 January 2015 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Woodard is currently offline David WoodardFriend
Hi Dan,

The metatype configuration files adhere to the OSGi Compendium spec (v4.3) [1] for the Metatype Service. If you haven't, it is properly worth reading the sections on Configuration Admin and Metatype Service. The spec states that the Metatype Service is only intended for simple data types. As you may have noticed, Kura displays these attribute definitions as:

if options are present => display drop down list
if type is boolean => display true/false radio buttons
else => display input box

The tabs you described are not using the Metatype Service or Configuration Admin. They are using internal data models to track changes made through the web UI. For dealing with a large set of inputs, I would recommend using a configuration file or for GPIO have a look at the device I/O features [2] we recently added. Otherwise, I think you would need to extend the UI and create your own custom tab.

Let me know if I can clarify anything further.

[1] http://www.osgi.org/Release4/Download
[2] http://eclipse.github.io/kura/doc/kura-dio-apis.html

Thanks,
--Dave

Re: Metatype configuration supported data types - tables/lists? [message #1769900 is a reply to message #1593563] Fri, 04 August 2017 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phoebe Li is currently offline Phoebe LiFriend
Hello, David

I am wondering if you have any suggestions on how to extend the Web UI and create self-defined tabs. I really like the way that in Cloud Service, we can just click Cloud Service, Data Service and MqttDataTransport to switch to different configuration page. I wish I can do that for my application as well.

Thanks
Phoebe

David Woodard wrote on Fri, 30 January 2015 18:43
Hi Dan,

The metatype configuration files adhere to the OSGi Compendium spec (v4.3) [1] for the Metatype Service. If you haven't, it is properly worth reading the sections on Configuration Admin and Metatype Service. The spec states that the Metatype Service is only intended for simple data types. As you may have noticed, Kura displays these attribute definitions as:

The tabs you described are not using the Metatype Service or Configuration Admin. They are using internal data models to track changes made through the web UI. For dealing with a large set of inputs, I would recommend using a configuration file or for GPIO have a look at the device I/O features [2] we recently added. Otherwise, I think you would need to extend the UI and create your own custom tab.

Thanks,
--Dave

Re: Metatype configuration supported data types - tables/lists? [message #1769901 is a reply to message #1593563] Fri, 04 August 2017 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phoebe Li is currently offline Phoebe LiFriend
Hello, David

Do you have any suggestions on how to extend the web UI and create self-defined tabs? I really like the way that in Cloud service, we can click CloudService, DataService, MqttDataTransport to switch to different configuration page. I wish I could do that when I configure my own application.

Thanks
Phoebe

David Woodard wrote on Fri, 30 January 2015 18:43
Hi Dan,

Thanks,
--Dave

Re: Metatype configuration supported data types - tables/lists? [message #1770038 is a reply to message #1769901] Mon, 07 August 2017 16:27 Go to previous message
Erdem Tuna is currently offline Erdem TunaFriend
I'm also willing to learn as Phoebe, if those utilities are possible.
Previous Topic:ConfigurableComponent is not getting activated
Next Topic:Problem in setting up the Kura Development Environment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:25:34 GMT 2024