Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » TEXO and its weaknesses (The biggest weakness?)
TEXO and its weaknesses [message #1575203] Tue, 20 January 2015 17:45 Go to next message
Martin Plekanec is currently offline Martin PlekanecFriend
Hello,
I am considering TEXO on my next project, I have checked the demos online and it seems to be a pretty cool solution. I have a one question- What do you think is the biggest weakness of this project? I think this is quite important to consider before I start.

Happy coding!
Martin
Re: TEXO and its weaknesses [message #1575580 is a reply to message #1575203] Tue, 20 January 2015 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Hi Martin,
So you are not asking for a listing of strong points :-), okay here are some improvement points:

- I think that the concept of annotations model is a bit too complex, it works, it even works fine, but I think in the
mid-term there should be something more easily maintainable/understandable. This also touches on the weakness/missing
feature, that if you change the structure of your ecore model, the annotations model can get out of sync/touch, so both
need to be maintained at the same time in parallel.

- Texo is very much tied to EMF, I guess that there are is a learning curve for anyone not from the modeling world, I
would like to bring EMF like concepts more to the general web developer community..

- Texo is being maintained mostly by myself only, so small base, on the other hand the generated code is very standard
and the main framewwork code is easy to be maintained directly if needed, so the usage risk is quite low imho. And I am
actively looking for additional people/contributors, expecting/hoping that this will be resolved over time...

- Texo is now tied to JPA persistence, I think the future needs some more flexibility there, I would like to add more
runtime-dynamic behavior both on the model side as well as in persistence functionality

So these things are mainly related to the ideas I have for the (near-)future, related to more runtime model-flexibility,
micro-services with distributed datastores, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

gr. Martin

On 20-01-15 19:12, Martin Plekanec wrote:
> Hello,
> I am considering TEXO on my next project, I have checked the demos online and it seems to be a pretty cool solution. I
> have a one question- What do you think is the biggest weakness of this project? I think this is quite important to
> consider before I start.
>
> Happy coding!
> Martin

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307
Mail: mtaal@xxxxxxxx - mtaal@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org
Re: TEXO and its weaknesses [message #1575587 is a reply to message #1575203] Tue, 20 January 2015 22:36 Go to previous message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Hi Martin,
So you are not asking for a listing of strong points :-), okay here are some improvement points:

- I think that the concept of annotations model is a bit too complex, it works, it even works fine, but I think in the
mid-term there should be something more easily maintainable/understandable. This also touches on the weakness/missing
feature, that if you change the structure of your ecore model, the annotations model can get out of sync/touch, so both
need to be maintained at the same time in parallel.

- Texo is very much tied to EMF, I guess that there are is a learning curve for anyone not from the modeling world, I
would like to bring EMF like concepts more to the general web developer community..

- Texo is being maintained mostly by myself only, so small base, on the other hand the generated code is very standard
and the main framewwork code is easy to be maintained directly if needed, so the usage risk is quite low imho. And I am
actively looking for additional people/contributors, expecting/hoping that this will be resolved over time...

- Texo is now tied to JPA persistence, I think the future needs some more flexibility there, I would like to add more
runtime-dynamic behavior both on the model side as well as in persistence functionality

So these things are mainly related to the ideas I have for the (near-)future, related to more runtime model-flexibility,
micro-services with distributed datastores, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

gr. Martin

On 20-01-15 19:12, Martin Plekanec wrote:
> Hello,
> I am considering TEXO on my next project, I have checked the demos online and it seems to be a pretty cool solution. I
> have a one question- What do you think is the biggest weakness of this project? I think this is quite important to
> consider before I start.
>
> Happy coding!
> Martin

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397