Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » NatTable » NatTable version numbers
NatTable version numbers [message #1574772] Tue, 20 January 2015 12:22 Go to next message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
Hi everybody,

I'm about to release the next version of NatTable. It is still the 1.x architecture that fixes several issues and adds some small enhancements requested by the community.

There are also some breaking changes, e.g. extended interfaces that are typically not implemented by NatTable users or corrected typos in class and method names that are typically not used by 90% of NatTable users. However, since these interfaces are not marked as internal and might be implemented by customers, they are breaking changes.

The PMC mentioned this regarding the version numbering, and I would like to discuss this with the NatTable users out there. For the version number of the upcoming NatTable release we have two options:

1. NatTable 2.0.0
This would be the correct version number regarding the OSGi and Eclipse version numbering guidelines you can find here: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/API_Central

I personally don't like to update the version number to 2.0.0 now, because IMHO this leads to confusions. In the past I communicated that NatTable 2.0.0 will be the release that adds support for different UI toolkits. So when I talk about NatTable 2.0.0 I talk about the new architecture with a lot of breaking changes.

2. NatTable 1.2.0
This is my personally preferred version number for the upcoming release. It says that it is still the 1.x architecture, but it contains several changes to bring the NatTable control forward.

Most of the breaking changes can be seen as "cleaning up the mess", which is the reason for me to stick with 1.2.0 rather than updating the version number to 2.0.0.
Also the New & Noteworthy is prepared to communicate the breaking changes in detail.

There is currently a discussion going on with the PMC as said before. But I would also like to hear the opinion of NatTable users on this. In the end it is a discussion product version vs. plugin version. For me the NatTable version is the product version ATM, so updating to 2.0.0 is wrong since there is no architectural change. From the plugin perspective 1.2.0 is wrong, since there are breaking changes.

It would be great to get some feedback from the community too. In the end NatTable is used by you and my opinion doesn't count that much.

I should also mention that in previous releases the NatTable packages wasn't exported specifying a version.

Greez,
Dirk

[Updated on: Tue, 20 January 2015 12:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: NatTable version numbers [message #1574811 is a reply to message #1574772] Tue, 20 January 2015 12:51 Go to previous message
Roman Flueckiger is currently offline Roman FlueckigerFriend
I'd prefer OSGI versioning in the future.

However, for this particular release it doesn't matter to me, since I anticipated the fact that version 1.2 would contain API breaks and I could prepare my projects beforehand.

So, if this is a vote: I'd abstain from voting - since for this release, it doesn't matter to me.

I can see the confusion that could be caused by releasing version 2.0.0 given forum readers probably associate some particular new (not yet implemented) features with that version. Maybe it is time to introduce a "marketing version". We often use such a version differentiation in our projects to be able to use proper OSGI versioning (technical versions) for our bundles, while remaining flexible to marketing version numbering schemes, desired by... well... less technically oriented guys Smile

The marketing version could for instance be reflected by the features and/or the updatesite (1.2), while the bundles would be versioned "properly" with version 2.0.0 (or maybe some bundles didn't even make a major version jump and stay at 1.2 or 1.1.2).

However, I don't know, if there are any Eclipse specific requirements about things like that...

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Roman

[Updated on: Tue, 20 January 2015 13:34]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:How to get live updates while maintaining a sorted tree
Next Topic:How to get correct area for printing nattable?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:49:08 GMT 2024