Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » self-updating RCP product: changelog(how to distribute summary of changes (changelog) together with the updates)
icon5.gif  self-updating RCP product: changelog [message #1571710] Sun, 18 January 2015 20:23 Go to next message
Dinko Ivanov is currently offline Dinko IvanovFriend
Hi,

I'm building a self updating RCP product using the approach described here:
https://mahichir.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/eclipse-rcp-and-p2-headless-update-on-startup/

It's working OK for me. In addition, prior to the update operation I'd like to show the user some kind of release notes or changelog, so that he's aware of what he'll get with this update.

My first thought was to implement a custom solution by reading some changelog.txt file from the network, but I thought it would be better to ask the veterans - is there any standard way to do that? Like a specific API for this purpose or some place in the product/feature descriptors where release notes can be kept?

Thanks and regards,
Dinko
Re: self-updating RCP product: changelog [message #1582197 is a reply to message #1571710] Sat, 24 January 2015 13:19 Go to previous message
Dinko Ivanov is currently offline Dinko IvanovFriend
To follow up on the topic - I was able to achieve the result using the feature description field. I maintain a changelog as part of the feature description. It's in the information page of the feature.xml editor. (design-time)
Then on runtime I create an UpdateOperation, and then get the additions from the provisioning plan.

UpdateOperation operation = new UpdateOperation(session);
IStatus status = operation.resolveModal(new SubProgressMonitor(monitor, 1));
IProvisioningPlan provisioningPlan = operation.getProvisioningPlan();
IQueryable<IInstallableUnit> additions = provisioningPlan.getAdditions();

After that I query the additions for the feature I need and get the feature descriptor like that:

IQueryResult<IInstallableUnit> queryRes = additions.query(...);
if (!queryRes.isEmpty()) {
   IInstallableUnit feature = queryRes.iterator().next();
   String featureDescription = feature.getProperty("org.eclipse.equinox.p2.description");
}

In this way I'm able to show a changelog to the user when he gets new update.

Best Regards,
Dinko

[Updated on: Sat, 24 January 2015 13:20]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Can't connect to update site
Next Topic:P2 seeing new software, yet not counting it as an upgrade
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 05:04:33 GMT 2024