Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Remote development in Java
Remote development in Java [message #1560763] Mon, 12 January 2015 20:08 Go to next message
Chris Cleveland is currently offline Chris ClevelandFriend
I use Eclipse for Java development in Windows on my laptop, but deploy to Linux on Amazon. Sometimes it would be a lot easy to develop on Amazon directly, particularly when dealing with platform issues.

I'd really like to be able to edit my files locally and then press a button and have the system run on an Amazon instance.

Right now I have to do a local build, copy jars up to the remote box, ssh in and run the program on the command line. It's a slow process.

Is there a better way?

Re: Remote development in Java [message #1560850 is a reply to message #1560763] Mon, 12 January 2015 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Aren't you able to run your program locally?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Remote development in Java [message #1560876 is a reply to message #1560850] Mon, 12 January 2015 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Cleveland is currently offline Chris ClevelandFriend
Not if I'm dealing with platform-specific issues, or if the data files I'm manipulating are much larger than my laptop can handle, or if I'm doing benchmarking, or if I'm writing clustering code that behaves differently on on EC2 than it does on my local laptop. You can't do any of those things locally.
Re: Remote development in Java [message #1562398 is a reply to message #1560876] Tue, 13 January 2015 17:40 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Amazon offers some Eclipse plugins to aid in AWS development. See http://aws.amazon.com/eclipse/
Previous Topic:Select a directory to search for existing Eclipse projects.
Next Topic:[Photran]How use Fortran in project?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:10:24 GMT 2024