Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » Nothing appears in the palette or Design View after RHEL 6 update(Nothing appears in the palette or Design View after RHEL 6 update)
Nothing appears in the palette or Design View after RHEL 6 update [message #1524680] Tue, 23 December 2014 15:53 Go to next message
gerry hobbs is currently offline gerry hobbsFriend
I have been using WindowBuilder in Kepler on RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 with no problems for quite some time. An OS update performed about a month ago changed all that. After the yum update was complete, the palette and the design view no longer show any components. I can click within the design view and see the properties and the selection change in the structure view. I can click within the palette view and select the invisible object and drop it into the design view but nothing ever appears. I upgraged eclipse to Luna to try and solve this problem. Any ideas?
Re: Nothing appears in the palette or Design View after RHEL 6 update [message #1524751 is a reply to message #1524680] Tue, 23 December 2014 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
Classic Linux WIndow Manager bug. I have seen Linux updates break like this several times over the years, They usually get fixed by the next update... and then broken again a few updates later. You can either downgrade the OS back to what worked or look to see if they have put out any patches since then. There is nothing we can do on our end about it. WB relies on the Window Manager to supply the WYSIWYG graphics in the design view. If it refuses to do so, you will often just get a blank white (or sometimes black) screen where the design image would be.
Re: Nothing appears in the palette or Design View after RHEL 6 update [message #1524912 is a reply to message #1524751] Tue, 23 December 2014 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gerry hobbs is currently offline gerry hobbsFriend
I tried within the last hour using WindowBuilder 1.7 in eclipse luna under gnome, kde and xfce all of which use different Window Managers and experienced the same problem. Could the problem lie elsewhere, perhaps the GTK/SWT libraries?
Re: Nothing appears in the palette or Design View after RHEL 6 update [message #1524994 is a reply to message #1524912] Tue, 23 December 2014 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
If it is appearing in multiple window managers, it is likely a problem with one of the updated OS libraries included with that update. A video driver bug could also be the cause and would affect multiple window managers as well. I doubt the problem lies in any Eclipse or SWT code as you stated it worked fine prior to the OS update. Something is disabling off screen rendering, so you are getting a blank image. I have seen "optimizations" like that done in Linux updates in the past and then seem them backed out in the very next update. Each new generation of developers hacking on Linux seems to introduce the same bug and then fix it later. I have seen this happen several times over the last ten years or so. Unfortunately, Linux is the Wild West of operating systems, and you are guaranteed virtually no forward, backward, or sideways (between distros) compatibility.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 December 2014 21:33]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Nothing appears in the palette or Design View after RHEL 6 update [message #1580959 is a reply to message #1524680] Fri, 23 January 2015 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbert Skalski is currently offline Norbert SkalskiFriend
I still have this issue 3 months after upgrade. I have opened a bug on centos. Posted below.
Re: Nothing appears in the palette or Design View after RHEL 6 update [message #1580960 is a reply to message #1580959] Fri, 23 January 2015 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry can't post links without 5 total messages, sigh....
Re: Nothing appears in the palette or Design View after RHEL 6 update [message #1580961 is a reply to message #1580960] Fri, 23 January 2015 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 more to go
Re: Nothing appears in the palette or Design View after RHEL 6 update [message #1580962 is a reply to message #1580961] Fri, 23 January 2015 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and another one
Re: Nothing appears in the palette or Design View after RHEL 6 update [message #1580963 is a reply to message #1580962] Fri, 23 January 2015 20:32 Go to previous message
ok here is the link to the centos bug, post your info here:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=8124
Previous Topic:Understand WB XWT Model
Next Topic:IndexOutOfBoundsException?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:43:30 GMT 2024