Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » MoDisco » MoDisco and PL/SQL(Way to reverse engeneering PL/SQL code)
MoDisco and PL/SQL [message #1507444] Thu, 11 December 2014 16:36 Go to next message
Vitor Vezani is currently offline Vitor VezaniFriend
Hello guys, how are you?

Is there any way to reverse engineer a PL/SQL code? In order to look at the modelation of the code and/or dependencies between packages/procedures and tables or something like that?

Thank you!
Re: MoDisco and PL/SQL [message #1508259 is a reply to message #1507444] Fri, 12 December 2014 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hugo Bruneliere is currently offline Hugo BruneliereFriend
Hello,

MoDisco official release is currently not containing a PL/SQL model discoverer.
However, there have already been different prototypes of such components based on MoDisco.

For instance, in the context of the ongoing ARTIST collaborative project , a partial SQL model discoverer has been initiated (covering INSERT statements so far).
Also, some years ago, a relational database information discoverer has been prototyped in the context of MoDisco. Some of its elements (e.g. used metamodels) could be of interest for you.

--------------------------------------------------------
Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
NaoMod team (IMT Atlantique & LS2N-CNRS)
Nantes - France
Re: MoDisco and PL/SQL [message #1512044 is a reply to message #1508259] Mon, 15 December 2014 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In this context, is there a way to build a PL/SQL discovery model on top of MoDisco/Eclipse? My company desires to have a high level model (UML/Architecture Diagrams ...) of the system that is written in PL/SQL and in a future a possible migration to Java.

Thanks again!
Re: MoDisco and PL/SQL [message #1512082 is a reply to message #1512044] Mon, 15 December 2014 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can develop your new PL/SQL discovery component using any Eclipse-based technology you want, and then package it as a MoDisco model discoverer following the provided instructions and API (cf. MoDisco documentation, section "MoDisco User Guide -> Infrastructure -> Discovery Manager -> Developer Documentation").
For implementing the parsing part, I would recommend you to take a look to technologies such as Xtext for instance.

Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
Nantes - France
Re: MoDisco and PL/SQL [message #1512117 is a reply to message #1512082] Mon, 15 December 2014 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info!

One last question if Imay..

I saw this example (MoDisco-Demo_September2011) and basically it is demonstrating MoDisco -> Java Model Discovery -> Some transformations (refactoring) and metrics!

There is some example of a fully language change like java -> C++/C# or something like that?

Thanks!
Re: MoDisco and PL/SQL [message #1512138 is a reply to message #1512117] Mon, 15 December 2014 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We currently don't have such an example developed in the context of the MoDisco project.
But we would be grateful if you could point us to some scenarios of this kind Smile

Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
Nantes - France
Re: MoDisco and PL/SQL [message #1514824 is a reply to message #1512138] Wed, 17 December 2014 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the Model Discovery Java Open Source? Can I use it as a base project to build my own PL / SQL Model Discovery?
I'm having a little trouble understanding how it all works, for example: how would I use the Xtext as part of the process. Confused
Re: MoDisco and PL/SQL [message #1514857 is a reply to message #1514824] Wed, 17 December 2014 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course, all the MoDisco project is completely open source. You can get the sources from the installed MoDisco SDK or directly from the MoDisco project Git repository.

For using Xtext as part of your component, and in addition to all the official Xtext resources, I would recommend you to take a look to the source code of the SQL Model Discoverer developed in the ARTIST EU project (as also using Xtext and then packaged as a MoDisco discoverer) .

Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
Nantes - France
Re: MoDisco and PL/SQL [message #1564229 is a reply to message #1514857] Wed, 14 January 2015 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
So...is it just me that finds the documentation for installing the SQL Model discovery impenetrable? Wink I mean past the point of installing MoDisco which is of course completely straightforward. Is this a plugin or what? How do we actually make use of it?

thanks,

Miles
Re: MoDisco and PL/SQL [message #1564254 is a reply to message #1564229] Wed, 14 January 2015 17:46 Go to previous message
Hello Miles,
You're right that the installation of this feature is (much) less straightforward that the MoDisco integrated ones.
If this component is finally integrated in the released version of MoDisco in the future, it should be much better Smile
In the meantime, you can find binaries of the corresponding 4 plugins from here, or you can rebuild them from the sources using the link provided in previous post (supposing that you have MoDisco and Xtext already installed).
These plugins can then be installed as any regular deployable plugins.
For running the actual components in your workbench, you can right-click on the input (e.g. SQL source file) and then go the MoDisco "Discovery" menu and select the proper contextual action.
I hope this helps.

Hugo Bruneliere, PhD
Nantes - France
Previous Topic:Modisco, XMI and Mongodb
Next Topic:MoDisco in practice shown during coming ARTIST workshop @CloudScape Brussels - March 10, 2015
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:43:53 GMT 2024