Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Updating plug-in versions, source, and javadoc(How-to question regarding plugins and libraries)
Updating plug-in versions, source, and javadoc [message #1501688] Sun, 07 December 2014 02:00 Go to next message
Robert Behrman is currently offline Robert BehrmanFriend
Colleagues:

I'm attempting to create a plug-in project. From the Manifest.MF file, I can select a list of plug-ins required. However, I know that many of these are not the must up-to-date version of the package, source, etc.

I am currently listing as required:
org.eclipse.swt (3.103.1)
org.apache.commons.math (2.1.0)
org.apache.xerces (2.9.0)
org.junit (4.11.0)
org.eclipse.jface (3.10.1)

I know that two of these, at least (SWT and Apache.commons.math) have newer versions out there. I have downloaded them; how do I list the dependencies to a new, updated version?

In addition, once I have done that, how do I attach source to, or generate the javadoc for, these dependencies?

I've searched everything, and I've seen suggestions to use the 'eclipse update manager', 'git', or other tools. What I have yet to see is anything that tells me HOW to use these things. I'd appreciate any assistance!
Re: Updating plug-in versions, source, and javadoc [message #1503486 is a reply to message #1501688] Mon, 08 December 2014 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
You need to familiarize yourself with the concept of Target Platform. Once you understand it and have set up your development workspace to use one, you'll be able to maintain the versions your plug-in uses more precisely.

Some links to get you started:

Re: Updating plug-in versions, source, and javadoc [message #1504212 is a reply to message #1503486] Tue, 09 December 2014 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Behrman is currently offline Robert BehrmanFriend
Eric:

Thank you for your quick response. I think I get the concept - the 'target definition' file points Eclipse to various update sites where it can download elements of the project. However, I think I'm more confused after reading these tutorials:

1. What is the difference in function between my Manifest.MF file and my .target file? What happens if the dependencies in my .mf file point to different versions then the .target file?

2. How do I find out where these update sites are? What do I do if I have dependencies but can't find an update site for them? What about external dependencies that use something different than a p2 repository (e.g., org.apache.commons.math...).

3. So I've pointed to the org.eclipse.downloads update site like the vogella tutorial tells me to. How do I find out which of the XX million bundles contains which (I found SWT and Jface using the Eclipse Platform SDK bundle, but I can't find JFace)? Where do I look this stuff up?

I appreciate any assistance, and appreciate yall bearing with my noobery.
Re: Updating plug-in versions, source, and javadoc [message #1507462 is a reply to message #1504212] Thu, 11 December 2014 16:57 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
I'm sure you won't like to hear it, but that's one of the (many) areas of expertise and practice that are needed in order to successfully develop Eclipse plugins or products. I don't think it can be answered generically other than to say that you have to understand the packages you're using, including what plugin (bundle) they come from. The good news is that the PDE tools (Plug-in Registry, Plug-Ins view, Manifest editor, etc) provide a lot of help.

As far as the relationship between your plugin manifest and the Target Platform: the Target Platform defines the set of bundles and features that are available to your code, so a manifest can only specify plugins/packages that are included in the current Target Platform.
Keep in mind that the .target file is just a textual representation of the concept of Target Platform (useful for export/sharing/importing) - it is not the Target Platform itself.

Another thing to consider is that some people recommend not declaring bundle dependencies at all in your manifest; instead, declare dependencies on specific packages. See this for more info: http://stackoverflow.com/a/13961636/639520 and http://wiki.osgi.org/wiki/Use_Import-Package_instead_of_Require-Bundle

[Updated on: Thu, 11 December 2014 17:00]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Diff between IPlatformRunnable, IStartup n preStartup in WorkbenchAdvisor
Next Topic:Autocomplete like sublime/intellJ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:32:17 GMT 2024