Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » How to self-update RAP application?
How to self-update RAP application? [message #1499180] Fri, 05 December 2014 00:41 Go to next message
David Lee is currently offline David LeeFriend
Hi,

I see a p2 directory in %CATALINA_HOME%/work/Catalina/localhost/rap-app-name/eclipse/, but I tried and failed to make the RAP app support self-update with the same procedures as what I succeeded in RCP, I think both procedures are probably much different! Could you please give me some guidelines for RAP app's self-update?
Thank you!

Best,
David

[Updated on: Fri, 05 December 2014 00:54]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to self-update RAP application? [message #1500009 is a reply to message #1499180] Fri, 05 December 2014 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus Knauer is currently offline Markus KnauerFriend

Hi David,

that's a tough question...

If your application is based on OSGi bundles and only some of them change frequently it may be worth to think about alternative deployments, e.g. use OSGi capable application servers such as Eclipse Virgo or Apache Karaf. Both servers provide the mechanisms to deploy and to update bundles at runtime, and a "push-update" into the server (i.e. an update that is controlled from the outside) is probably more reliable compared to a "pull-self-update" of the application.

If that's not possible I would think of making it easy to deploy e.g. a .war file and use this as deployment unit.

Only if all of this is not possible I'd think about integrating a self-update into a server-side application.

The p2 directory (WEB-INF/p2/) that you found in your application is a left-over from assembling the .war file with the p2 director during build time. In order to create an application that updates itself you need to add additional p2 bundles to your .war file and some configuration (e.g. the URL of your p2 repository), and finally you need to trigger the update somehow.

Regards, Markus

--

Twitter: @mknauer23 and @EclipseRAP
Blog: http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/

Professional services for RAP and RCP?
http://eclipsesource.com/services/rap/
Re: How to self-update RAP application? [message #1501849 is a reply to message #1500009] Sun, 07 December 2014 05:17 Go to previous message
David Lee is currently offline David LeeFriend
Hi, Markus,

Thank you for reply!
Assuming we are deploying RAP app packages, whenever a new update released, we'll have to individually and manually update each customer's RAP app located in his site one by one, if RAP can have a self-update functionality just like RCP does, that'll be much efficient and automatic!
I tried and succeeded self-update on RCP, however, RAP is not like RCP, in my opinion, if the RAP app can periodically links and checks/detects update automatically, that could be the best option though it'll more or less increase RAP server's loading, and the second option is, since Activator.java executes once only in the very beginning of a RAP app, I think it's all right with users if we acknowledge them to restart RAP app and get the update, is it possible to detect/excute update from a specific url repository in Activator?
Thank you so much!

Best,
David

[Updated on: Sun, 07 December 2014 08:27]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Getting the username after form-based authentication
Next Topic:Cannot open the connection for the driver: org.eclipse.birt.report.data.oda.jdbc ORACLE DB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:13:44 GMT 2024