Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Perspectives(RAP implementation)
icon5.gif  Perspectives [message #1488381] Wed, 26 November 2014 14:59 Go to next message
Beatriz SanchezFriend
Hello
We're trying to implement perspectives in our scout application. With SWT it works well and it's relatively easy to implement. However I was exploring the RAP code and it seems that the *.rap.workbench plugin is deprecated.
In SWT perspectives work by creating views that extend AbstractScoutView (that at the same time extend ViewPart) and then adding this views to the created perspective.
But RAP has no views defined, I mean there was a AbstractScoutView extends ViewPart on RAP but it is in the scout.rt.ui.rap.workbench that will soon be deprecated.
In the scout.rt.ui.rap source code there are three classes that extend AbstractRwtScoutPart but this last class does not extend any. I've found the class ViewArea who sort of works like a perspective because it is there that we read and arrange the view types defined in the IForm interface but it also extends Composite so I'm kind of lost on how could I implement perspectives since in the rap.demo it can work just like in swt.
Any ideas on how could I get this done?
Thanks in advance
Re: Perspectives [message #1489234 is a reply to message #1488381] Thu, 27 November 2014 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
Hi,

As far as I know, the Scout Rap layer does not use the RWT Workbench (I do not precisely know, what were the reasons for this choice).

May I ask why you need to use Perspective in the RAP UI?

Re: Perspectives [message #1489703 is a reply to message #1489234] Thu, 27 November 2014 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beatriz SanchezFriend
Hi
Thanks for your reply Jeremy.
We want to develop a big project with different modules like administration and publishing and we wanted to be able to change of module by changing of perspective. In swt seems to work fine: we've added perspectives to our forms and we open them in different perspectives. We are thinking on not using outlines because it's not that simple to manage the perspectives with the outline elements.
Any ideas for RAP ?
Re: Perspectives [message #1494829 is a reply to message #1489703] Mon, 01 December 2014 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Tournet is currently offline Patrick TournetFriend
Hi Jeremie !
Betty was my intern, so I hop on her thread... The reason why she was investigating the use of perspective instead of outlines for our project was the ability to reorganize the workbench at runtime (send the tree control from the left side to the right one, ...) which is easily done in SWT... And we'd like to keep that possibility in RAP but it doesn't look like it's available out of the box with outlines... or am I wrong ?

I can do anything and I can do it better than anyone. Be as I am : be the best ! Wink
Re: Perspectives [message #1503648 is a reply to message #1494829] Mon, 08 December 2014 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Patrick,

I had the opportunity to speak with Andreas Hoegger (co-project lead from the Eclipse Scout project) about this topic.

Our RAP renderer is not using the RAP-Workbench at all. It would have been a big overhead and another solution was chosen at that time. If you absolutely need the RAP Workbench you might need to do some major rework of the Scout-RAP-UI renderer. Before investing a lot of time in RAP, please wait for some announcement we like to make at the beginning of 2015.

The scout way is to use Outline! Betty was telling:

Betty Sanchez wrote on Thu, 27 November 2014 17:05
We are thinking on not using outlines because it's not that simple to manage the perspectives with the outline elements.

Can you please explain what is not working for you with the scout outlines?

By the way, we are in the process of knowing the scout community better. Please consider taking the made with Scout Survey. This way we can identify you as someone who has invested (or is investing) on top of the Eclipse Scout Framework. This way we might be able to have a closer relationship (communication, road-map sharing, invitation to events...) than anonymously on the forum.
Re: Perspectives [message #1537054 is a reply to message #1503648] Tue, 30 December 2014 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Tournet is currently offline Patrick TournetFriend
Hi, Jeremy,

First of all, I've taken the Scout Survey...

As for your question about the problem with scout outlines, I'm not sure : one of our requirements was the ability to easily reorganize the workbench layout at runtime for the user (at least for the non-RAP client(s), for the RAP client, a way configure the layout (the tree on the right instead than on the left, for instance) even outside the app would be enough). After looking into it, Betty advised us to use SWT and perspective in order to achieve that...

Now that I'm going through the Scout tutorials, I've noticed that it's also doable out of the box with SWT and the standard outline. As for the Swing client, it seems (at least without the Rayo look and feel) that it could be done (as the upper left button of each window shows a menu with a grayed "Move" item), but I haven't figured out how yet. And for the RAP client, I haven't started looking yet but if you have any pointer about how to alter the layout, I'm all ears ! Wink

I can do anything and I can do it better than anyone. Be as I am : be the best ! Wink
Re: Perspectives [message #1547652 is a reply to message #1537054] Mon, 05 January 2015 15:09 Go to previous message
I think I see the kind of flexibility you want to obtain.

For Swing, I am pretty sure the question was asked on this forum, but I did not find it. I am not sure if the buttons you see to move the views with the Nimbus Look-and-Feel will do what you expect.

For RAP: we do not support it. (RAP is near to what we support in the Swing Rayo Look-And-Feel).

For SWT: you get the flexibility because it is provided by the Eclipse Workbench (The SWT renderer is built on top of it).

I am not sure to know what I can suggest. You can probably do a lot, but it might be a lot of work.

Patrick Tournet wrote on Tue, 30 December 2014 17:01
First of all, I've taken the Scout Survey...

I have seen it and I have sent you an email.

Previous Topic:MessageBox shows with quite a delay
Next Topic:Vertical Alignment of Buttons in a GroupBoxField
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:23:19 GMT 2024