Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » The Future of WindowBuilder
The Future of WindowBuilder [message #1483557] Sat, 22 November 2014 18:48 Go to next message
Ossama Nasser is currently offline Ossama NasserFriend
I love Eclipse IDE but I don't use it much because most of my work is in desktop applications and frankly WindowBuilder haven't seen any big changes.
My question is: are there any big changes for WindowBuilder ?
Re: The Future of WindowBuilder [message #1483562 is a reply to message #1483557] Sat, 22 November 2014 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Ossama Nasser wrote on Sat, 22 November 2014 18:48
I love Eclipse IDE but I don't use it much because most of my work is in desktop applications and frankly WindowBuilder haven't seen any big changes.
My question is: are there any big changes for WindowBuilder ?

My question to you would be what changes are you looking for? If you specify something that doesn't work or is missing, that is something tangible that could be addressed. But changes just for the sake of changes might not be the best consideration.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames@apollo3.com
www.apollo3.com/~ljames
Re: The Future of WindowBuilder [message #1484078 is a reply to message #1483562] Sun, 23 November 2014 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
We don't have any big changes planned. WindowBuilder is functionally complete from our point of view, so our primary plan is to simple keep it running with newer Eclipse builds so that developers can keep using it. That means making minor changes required by newer Eclipse versions and fixing any bugs reported.

That said, WindowBuilder is an open source project, and we welcome patches and other contributions. New committers interested in adding new functionality are encouraged to contact us.
Re: The Future of WindowBuilder [message #1484164 is a reply to message #1484078] Sun, 23 November 2014 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ossama Nasser is currently offline Ossama NasserFriend
Thanks for replying.
Firstly, I don't have enough experince to modify WindowBuilder . As for it's functionality, I feel like it's not working well on my Ubuntu 14.04. When I first run it it says that I'm using Compiz and that will cause problems and that it does, You know the blue square that is drawn around each compenet we select in WindowBuilder ? it shifts slightly higher than the compenent. One other issue is speed, I have a Core I7 4500U processor and 8 GB DDR3 RAMs and WindowBuilder is slower than NetBeans GUI Designer. Another fact is binding, in NetBeans binding is extremly easy while slighlty not so easy in WindowBuilder as I'm in need of creating a new JFrame for that very purpose.
Generally I believe ecplise is superior to other IDEs expcept in terms of WindowBuilder and Web Services.
Re: The Future of WindowBuilder [message #1484862 is a reply to message #1484164] Sun, 23 November 2014 21:15 Go to previous message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
Yep. Compiz is pretty buggy. Can't help much with that. In general, the other window managers available for Ubuntu are better choices.

I can't comment on the ease of binding on WB vs NetBeans as I don't use NetBeans and you haven't given any details on why you feel that way.
Previous Topic:WindowBuilder install problems
Next Topic:Persisting WindowBuilder component properties as XML Elements in XWT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:17:08 GMT 2024