Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » OM2M » semantic description in om2m
semantic description in om2m [message #1479157] Wed, 19 November 2014 07:48 Go to next message
Salma Bradai is currently offline Salma BradaiFriend
Hi,
I'm still exploring om2M and ETSI standard
As all information are represented as resources in om2m, are those resources are semantically expressed according to a high level of ontology?
Are data exposed by an scl always available?
thx,
Re: semantic description in om2m [message #1481850 is a reply to message #1479157] Fri, 21 November 2014 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahdi Ben Alaya is currently offline Mahdi Ben AlayaFriend
Hi Salma,

The current open source version of OM2M do not include semantic models. But, in the context of our research activities, we are working on enhancing M2M data interoperability based on ontologies and semantic reasoning. We are mainly focusing on integrating the SSN ontology (See http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/ssn/XGR-ssn-20110628/).
So far, ETSI did not published any standard specification related to this issue. However a technical report exists untitled "ETSI TR 101 584 Study on Semantic support for M2M Data" ( see http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_tr/101500_101599/101584/02.01.01_60/tr_101584v020101p.pdf) which provides more details about the semantic challenge and possible solutions.
In OM2M we are mainly using the ETSI M2M standard resource structure in general. We are also using the Open Building information Exchange (oBIX) data model from OASIS (See http://www.obix.org/) to represent device and application description and the generated payload as well.
Since oBIX is not part of the ETSI standard, then it can be replaced by a more advanced data model.
The data exposed by SCL are always available using HTTP, CoAP or local library call.

Hope this can help.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 November 2014 09:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: semantic description in om2m [message #1485447 is a reply to message #1481850] Mon, 24 November 2014 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fesseha Tsegaye is currently offline Fesseha TsegayeFriend
Hello Mahdi,

When you say "the current open source version of OM2M", is there a non open source version? I am just interested and if the answer is yes can you let me know what functionality are included in it, those that doesn't exist in the open source OM2M?

Regarding the semantic discussion, do you think this SSN ontology is suitable for small devices (embedded )? I was hoping IPSO smart objects would fit better for small devices. I have also noticed that the large XML representation in OM2M makes it a bit difficult to use with small devices, even to implement a DA (D' devices). Is there a plan to integrate other data formats with less overhead, such as JSON or EXI, in to OM2M?

Last thing, is there a place in your site where you announce new feature releases? Please let me know if there exists one.

regards
Re: semantic description in om2m [message #1490107 is a reply to message #1485447] Thu, 27 November 2014 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Fesseha,

OM2M is developed within the LAAS-CNRS laboratory by a team composed mainly of researchers. Internally, we have a version of OM2M including some advanced features related to our research topics where we are experimenting semantic models and reasoning, information centric networking, autonomic computing, and so on. At the same time, we are working on extending the open source version of OM2M with new plugins useful for developers such as interworking with zigbee, knx, mqtt and 6lowPan, and provide a nice front and back-end interfaces as well.

SSN is based on RDF, an XML based format so not really efficient for constraint devices. But at least, you can use SSN concepts and relations in another lightweight format. This will help you to reduce the quantity of new names to be used in your system, and so decrease the semantic gap. The main idea from using SSN here is the ability to do semantic reasoning on data by a more high level application. Actually we are using the Core Link Format from IETF to describe hosted resources withing constrained devices. I am not familiar with IPSO smart objects model, and I am not sure if it supports semantic. For me, IPSO is something similar to oBIX but I will try to investigate more this alternative. I agree with about XML overhead, that's why we are working on integrating JSON in OM2M.

OM2M is still in the incubation phase. All information about the roadmap and news will be detailed here: https://wiki.eclipse.org/OM2M#Project_Management. We are now updating some third libraries to complete the Eclipse validation process to go to our first release which will include json format, zigbee interworking proxy plugin and a nice charts interface.

Cheers
Re: semantic description in om2m [message #1500019 is a reply to message #1490107] Fri, 05 December 2014 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fesseha Tsegaye is currently offline Fesseha TsegayeFriend
Hello Mahdi,

Thank you for your previous reply.

I have a question regarding JSON integration. How do you manage to map the ETSI defined resource representation from XML to JSON, I mean based on what rules? Also in order to validate the resources it is necessary to have a JSON schema. How can one guarantee that his/her JSON schema is not a proprietary implementation because ETSI M2M doesn't have such files as in the XSD case?

ETSI suggests conformance to 'OMA-TS-REST_NetAPI_Common-V1_0-20120417-C.pdf (Common definitions for RESTful Network APIs)' clause 5.6 but it is very vague for me to understand.

regards
Re: semantic description in om2m [message #1694331 is a reply to message #1479157] Mon, 04 May 2015 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Salma Bradai is currently offline Salma BradaiFriend
Hi Mahdi,
I wonder whether JSON, JSOn-LD, HYDRA are now integrated in om2m.
Thanks
Re: semantic description in om2m [message #1694935 is a reply to message #1694331] Sat, 09 May 2015 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Salma,

JSON will be provided in the next version of OM2M.
JSOn-LD and HYDRA are great tools, unfortunately they are not supported by SmartM2M and OneM2M.

Mahdi
Re: semantic description in om2m [message #1732901 is a reply to message #1694935] Sun, 22 May 2016 09:28 Go to previous message
Klemen Petrovcic is currently offline Klemen PetrovcicFriend
Hi,

does the new version of the platform supports semantic models (SSN) ?
Previous Topic:Use of the retargeting concept in the oneM2M version
Next Topic:Does application has only one aPoCPath ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:27:16 GMT 2024