Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Nebula » Nebula widgets license(Do I have rights to modify GeoMap widget code in order to use in a research project.)
icon1.gif  Nebula widgets license [message #1476946] Mon, 17 November 2014 13:41 Go to next message
Philippe Kalitine is currently offline Philippe KalitineFriend
I'm working on a project in a research laboratory and I'm using GeoMap widget in my Eclispe RCP application. After a few weeks with this widget I found it very useful in my case, but I need some more features that current widget API cannot offer.

May I still modify widget source code and use it?
Re: Nebula widgets license [message #1476952 is a reply to message #1476946] Mon, 17 November 2014 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mickael Istria is currently offline Mickael IstriaFriend

The EPL license allows you to modify source code as long as you make the source available and accessible under EPL.
But a more sustainable approach than forking GeoMap would be that you contribute the generic extensions directly into GeoMap, as explained in https://wiki.eclipse.org/Nebula/Contributions#Patches .
Re: Nebula widgets license [message #1476957 is a reply to message #1476946] Mon, 17 November 2014 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wim Jongman is currently offline Wim JongmanFriend

If you would feed this new work back into the main repository there is no problem. We encourage you to contribute back to our widget. Please google for "Nebula Contribution Guide" for details on how to contribute back.

If you want to keep it for yourself then it is possible that you could still adapt it. Please ask your lawyers. The GeoMap widget is licensed under the EPL. Please see the comment in the beginning of the source code.

Best regards,

Wim
Re: Nebula widgets license [message #1477011 is a reply to message #1476957] Mon, 17 November 2014 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Philippe Kalitine is currently offline Philippe KalitineFriend
Thank you for your reponses.

For now my changes will be minor, but can evolve during project development and in this case I would be glad to contribute.

Best regards,
Philippe

[Updated on: Mon, 17 November 2014 14:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Nebula widgets license [message #1477372 is a reply to message #1477011] Mon, 17 November 2014 21:29 Go to previous message
Wim Jongman is currently offline Wim JongmanFriend

It is best to start with minor changes so that you can learn the contribution process.

Cheers,

Wim
Previous Topic:text in TableCombo shows only one column
Next Topic:TableCombo with autocomplete
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:05:44 GMT 2024