Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Temporarily hide untracked files in Synchronize and Git Staging Views
icon5.gif  Temporarily hide untracked files in Synchronize and Git Staging Views [message #1471102] Wed, 12 November 2014 22:08 Go to next message
David Eisner is currently offline David EisnerFriend
In EGit, Is there an equivalent of the command-line's "git status -uno", i.e. "git status --untracked-files=no" ?

When looking at the Synchronize view and the Unstaged Changes list in the Git Staging view, I want to ignore untracked files, for a time, but I don't necessarily want to add them to a .gitignore file.

I'm using Luna SR1 and EGit 3.4.1.201406201815-r.
Re: Temporarily hide untracked files in Synchronize and Git Staging Views [message #1471122 is a reply to message #1471102] Wed, 12 November 2014 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Try "Team > Advanced > Assume unchanged"

see option --assume-unchanged in https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-update-index.html
Re: Temporarily hide untracked files in Synchronize and Git Staging Views [message #1472059 is a reply to message #1471122] Thu, 13 November 2014 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Eisner is currently offline David EisnerFriend
Thanks for responding, Matthias. I don't think this is what I'm looking for, for two reasons:

1. Since we're talking about untracked files (they're not in the index at all), I don't think git update-index --assume-unchanged is applicable.

2. Even if it did work, It requires me to navigate to the artifacts I don't want to see, and then change their status. This can be tedious. With "git status -uno", in one fell swoop I'm saying "tell me the status of my working tree with respect to the index, but ignore untracked files, period".

I did try what you suggest, for completeness, but it didn't work (as expected, see point 1.) I have a "test/" directory at the root of my working directory. I right click on the "test/" directory in Package Explorer, then Team > Advanced > Assume unchanged. However, nothing changes in Eclipse. The test/ folder and all it's subdirectories and files still show up in the Synchronize view (even after I update it), and all 1500+ files appear in Unstaged Changes in the Git Staging view (making that list unusable, which is the problem).

[Updated on: Thu, 13 November 2014 16:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Temporarily hide untracked files in Synchronize and Git Staging Views [message #1481068 is a reply to message #1472059] Thu, 20 November 2014 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
The option not to show untracked files is only available in the Commit Dialog (Team -> Commit...) but neither in the staging view nor in the synchronize view.

There seems to be no open bugzilla issue for that, so if you would like to have this feature I encourage you to open an issue.
Re: Temporarily hide untracked files in Synchronize and Git Staging Views [message #1725716 is a reply to message #1481068] Mon, 07 March 2016 09:22 Go to previous message
Michal Domagala is currently offline Michal DomagalaFriend
Issue already raised: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=435346
Previous Topic:EGit circumvents remote pre-receive hooks?
Next Topic:stand alone computer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:39:33 GMT 2024