Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Compare » Compare Result of compare editor without the UI
Compare Result of compare editor without the UI [message #1456364] Thu, 30 October 2014 09:27 Go to next message
Shyam B is currently offline Shyam BFriend
Hi,

I am quite new to this particular topic. Have worked with Eclipse before.
I want to use the results of the Compare Editor i.e. the compare operation and interpret the results in my own way. I dont want to open the compare editor. I dont want any UI aspects. I just want to compare the results and then show them to the user in my own way. From what I see the logic for comparing and the UI are tightly bound. Is there a way I can only access the results of the compare without the UI elements? Thanks in advance.

-Shyam
Re: Compare Result of compare editor without the UI [message #1457424 is a reply to message #1456364] Fri, 31 October 2014 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Hi Shyam,

The comparison and display are not that tied together, unless you wish for your comparison to be launched through the "compare with" menu... in which case you are stuck with the Eclipse Team UI (which we only extend for our needs).

If you have your own means to launch a comparison along with your own UI to display its results and are only missing the "comparison" part, you can simply make use of EMF Compare programmatically (see the FAQ) and process the resulting Comparison model yourself.

Is that what you're searching for?

Laurent Goubet
Obeo
Re: Compare Result of compare editor without the UI [message #1458249 is a reply to message #1457424] Sat, 01 November 2014 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Laurent,

Thank you so much for the reply. I will look at what you have suggested.I have two text files with me. I want to compare results of these two text files and want to process this compare result in my own way. Let us say that I have two versions of a class available with me, how do I compare them without launching the Compare Editor? Will the EMF Compare help me with this?

-Shyam
Re: Compare Result of compare editor without the UI [message #1460170 is a reply to message #1458249] Mon, 03 November 2014 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurent Goubet is currently offline Laurent GoubetFriend
Shyam,

This sub-forum is for EMF Compare, a tool that extends the Eclipse comparison framework to allow for the comparison of EMF models. If what you are trying to compare are text files (i.e. they're not the serializations of EMF models), then EMF Compare will do nothing for you.

Unfortunately, I don't think the compare framework can be re-used programmatically, even if you use your own comparison action and have your own UI to display the result. I'd suggest relying on an external comparison tool (you could import google's diff-match-patch for example) and process the result of that comparison in your tool. You can also try to ask on the eclipse platform sub-forum (prefix your thread with "[Compare]" or "[Team]") to see if there is such a functionality available directly from Eclipse compare.

If your files _are_ EMF models, then the link I previously gave you should help Smile.

Laurent Goubet
Obeo
Re: Compare Result of compare editor without the UI [message #1460196 is a reply to message #1460170] Mon, 03 November 2014 09:47 Go to previous message
Hi Laurent,

I am so sorry for this. I now noticed that this Compare forum is under the Modelling forum. Thanks for your suggestions. I will post in the other forum.
Will look into your other inputs as well.

-Shyam
Previous Topic:Help me to fix reset list of command execution
Next Topic:Eclipse editor with my designer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:44:50 GMT 2024