Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight?
Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1448861] Mon, 20 October 2014 14:47 Go to next message
Luís de Sousa is currently offline Luís de SousaFriend
Started using Luna a few days ago. By default it has a very light colour for the current line highlight setting that makes the code unreadable. It is not too hard to change it in the Preferences menu, but I have to do it every time I start Eclipse or change workspaces.

How can the current line highlight setting be permanently tweaked to a colour that makes the code readable?

Thank you.
Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1450746 is a reply to message #1448861] Wed, 22 October 2014 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 10/20/2014 08:47 AM, Luís de Sousa wrote:
> Started using Luna a few days ago. By default it has a very light colour
> for the current line highlight setting that makes the code unreadable.
> It is not too hard to change it in the Preferences menu, but I have to
> do it every time I start Eclipse or change workspaces.
>
> How can the current line highlight setting be permanently tweaked to a
> colour that makes the code readable?
>
> Thank you.

Have you investigated--after making the change--File -> Export ->
General -> Preferences, Export All, etc.?
Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1487987 is a reply to message #1450746] Wed, 26 November 2014 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am attaching the epf file exported as Russel suggested. It has more than 14 k lines, it is beyond me what should be investigated there. I simply note it contains the following line:

/instance/org.eclipse.ui.editors/currentLineColor=46,48,51

Which shows the colour I manually set for the current line, but that is reset to light blue whenever I close Eclipse.

Thank you.

Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1488374 is a reply to message #1487987] Wed, 26 November 2014 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
You say that the setting reverts every time you re-start Eclipse, which sounds like a bug. But I was unable to reproduce it using Eclipse Luna (4.4.0). Do you have any third-party plugins installed, specifically anything that would be involved in changing Eclipse colors or themes?
Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1490609 is a reply to message #1488374] Fri, 28 November 2014 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Eric,

I am using Eclipse 4.4.1. At this moment I have a barge load of plugins installed (I do almost everything with it, programming, writing, maths, etc) some of which are distributed by third parties. But this behaviour - resetting of the current line highlight - has always been present since I installed Luna, even before I installed any plugin.

Is the epf file stored somewhere? I could at least try to monitor if the re-setting happens when Eclipse is closing or starting up.

Thank you.
Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1494467 is a reply to message #1490609] Mon, 01 December 2014 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The .epf file is just an export/import mechanism, it's not the permanent storage location. That particular setting can be found under your workspace folder, specifically in the file <workspace>/.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\org.eclipse.ui.editors.prefs

I also suggest examining the Error Log to see if there are any issues reported there when you try to change the setting and/or restart. Open Error Log in Eclipse (via Window > Show View... or using Ctrl+3) and use the red X button in its toolbar to delete the log contents. Then change the line highlight setting and look in Error Log to see if anything related is reported. Then restart Eclipse and again examine Error Log for related reports.
Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1503248 is a reply to message #1494467] Mon, 08 December 2014 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi checked the .settings file and it does not contain the currentLineColor setting. I tried to add it by hand, but the line is deleted when Eclipse starts up.

Thank you.
Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1503261 is a reply to message #1503248] Mon, 08 December 2014 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regarding the Error Log, nothing is reported when I change this setting in the Preferences menu, nor when I close Eclipse, but when it starts up there numerous errors reported on Ruby bundles. I doubt it has anything to do with the current line colour, but I am attaching an image in any case.

Thank you.
Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1503481 is a reply to message #1503261] Mon, 08 December 2014 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like that workspace is messed up. Try with a new, clean workspace and see if it behaves correctly.
Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1508640 is a reply to message #1503481] Fri, 12 December 2014 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again Eric. I have this behaviour across all workspaces, existing or new.

Thank you.
Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1553054 is a reply to message #1508640] Thu, 08 January 2015 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any other hints on this issue are welcome. Thank you.
Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1554273 is a reply to message #1448861] Fri, 09 January 2015 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 20.10.2014 um 16:47 schrieb Luís de Sousa:
> Started using Luna a few days ago. By default it has a very light colour for the current line highlight setting that
> makes the code unreadable. It is not too hard to change it in the Preferences menu, but I have to do it every time I
> start Eclipse or change workspaces.
>
> How can the current line highlight setting be permanently tweaked to a colour that makes the code readable?
The Eclipse Oomph project provides a preference recorder that can record all your preference changes into a file in your
user home folder and automatically apply them to your other workspaces at startup time.

You can install the "Oomph Setup" feature into your IDE from http://download.eclipse.org/oomph/updates/latest or from
the Mars release train (since M4). Oomph also provides an installer for new IDEs:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Installer

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1671136 is a reply to message #1554273] Fri, 13 March 2015 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a quick follow up: the Oomph Setup feature looks very nice but it crashes when I get to "Finish" panel. This is totally unrelated to the problem I reported initially, thus I will not follow it up in this thread.

Any other hints on how to make the current line highlight options permanent are welcome.

Thank you.
Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1683498 is a reply to message #1671136] Wed, 18 March 2015 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Am 13.03.2015 um 14:27 schrieb Luís de Sousa:
> Just a quick follow up: the Oomph Setup feature looks very nice but it crashes when I get to "Finish" panel.
Please help us to fix the problem for you by submitting a bugzilla against Tools|Oomph and describing that "crash" in
more detail (stack traces, logs, ...). Thanks.

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de
http://thegordian.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/eikestepper

Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1684099 is a reply to message #1448861] Wed, 18 March 2015 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prabhas Bu is currently offline Prabhas BuFriend
Thank u

Re: Luna: how to permanently change the current line highlight? [message #1698043 is a reply to message #1448861] Wed, 10 June 2015 14:58 Go to previous message
Today I was forced to removed the Aptana plug-in, it bundles a very old version of PyDev that is non functional on Eclipse Luna.

After that the modifications to the current colour highlight are now permanent. I could never figure it out.

Thank you.
Previous Topic:Parameter with multiple entry
Next Topic:Unable to change colour theme in Luna
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:53:09 GMT 2024