Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Want to improve Jar Creation
Want to improve Jar Creation [message #1447544] Sat, 18 October 2014 13:30 Go to next message
Marvin  Fröhlich is currently offline Marvin FröhlichFriend
I would like to improve the Jar creation tool in Eclipse. What do I need to checkout to do that? I tried to checkout the Eclipse JDT Core repositories, but I got a bunch of projects. And without help it seems impossible to find the place I need to look at.

I would need precise information, what repositories to checkout, which branches to use and what classes to take care of.

Thanks
Re: Want to improve Jar Creation [message #1449092 is a reply to message #1447544] Mon, 20 October 2014 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
I assume you'd want to start from the export wizard?
This stuff is part of JDT/UI not JDT/Core.
To find the entry classes there's a very generic and cool hotkey: Alt-Shift-F1, the "Plug-in Spy".
Just open the wizard, invoke the plug-in spy and it will tell things like the active wizard, the active page etc.

As for the branch, you'll want to work from "master".

If you plan to contribute your improvements back to JDT, it's always a good idea to first file an enhancement request in bugzilla, outline your plans and ask for feedback from committers.

HTH,
Stephan
Re: Want to improve Jar Creation [message #1449837 is a reply to message #1449092] Tue, 21 October 2014 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very cool. Thanks. I will have a look.
Re: Want to improve Jar Creation [message #1459436 is a reply to message #1449837] Sun, 02 November 2014 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a look at this. And it seems, there's something missing in my Eclipse. That hotkey does nothing. And after I imported all these projects from JDT UI all of them are marked red. Looks like I am missing some kind of global library or something like that.

Is there some kind of a HOWTO to setup my eclipse for these projects? Do I have to download a special eclipse release for plugin development? I already tried the Release for committers, which seems to help a bit.

The org.eclipse.jdt.ui project for example reports the following errors (among others):

An API baseline has not been set for the current workspace.
Type mismatch: cannot convert from Object to IBindingService	

What do I have to do here? Looks like the API has changed. But I don't know, what is outdated.

[Updated on: Sun, 02 November 2014 13:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Want to improve Jar Creation [message #1459474 is a reply to message #1459436] Sun, 02 November 2014 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Shift-Alt-F1 does nothing? Do you see the command "Plug-in Selection Spy" in the list of commands / key bindings (Preferences > General > Keys)?

Regarding the workspace, have you seen the wiki page https://wiki.eclipse.org/JDT_UI/How_to_Contribute ?
This should contain all information you need to get a dev workspace ready for work. If s.t. is missing, let us know so the wiki can be improved.

good luck,
Stephan

Re: Want to improve Jar Creation [message #1459539 is a reply to message #1459474] Sun, 02 November 2014 16:26 Go to previous message
Thanks Stephan,

well, the Hotkey does nothing in the Eclipse release for Java developers. But it does, what you say, in the release for committers.

And no, I have not seen this wiki yet. I will take a look.
Previous Topic:JDT Static Analysis for Swt Naming
Next Topic:Java was started but returned exit code=13
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:39:11 GMT 2024