Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse wont start (yet another thread)(Fresh install / no luck on google or forum search)
Eclipse wont start (yet another thread) [message #1444961] Tue, 14 October 2014 20:39 Go to next message
Michael Conz is currently offline Michael ConzFriend
Hey everyone,

at first i'll excuse in advance for any bad english because it's not my native language.

But now to my problem:

I need to start in java programming, so I recently installed eclipse succesfully on 2 machines (at work and in a virtual machine).
The last few hours i tryed to install it on my personal computer at home and it's going to drive me nuts :(

After I did, what I did 2 times before (download and unpack eclipse, install java jdk, setup eclipse.ini, start eclipse, be happy) it seems that nothing I'm going to try leads to a starting eclipse.exe

There is no error message, no splash screen, nothing.
If I start the eclipse.exe by double click in explorer, I get an explorer.exe which consumes 25% of my cpu (one core) and nothing changes this until I restart my system. Same thing happens when I try to start eclipse.exe via console (cmd), only difference is a cmd.exe in taskmanager consuming 25% CPU.

My system specs are:
Windows 8.1 x64 (not running any UAC or sth, as user with admin rights)
16GB Ram
Intel i5-3570K
(if u need more details, just tell me)

A few things i tryed:

- complety cleaned my system of all java installations and eclipse to da a "fresh" restart (again) -> nothing
- reset PATH value to default -> nothing (even after another reinstall of java with clean PATH)
- set path to javaw.exe in eclipse.ini (-vm -> next line the path)
- start ecplisec.exe over cmd -> not a single output line displayed in the prompt
- start eclipse.exe with parameters -clean or -cleanPersistedState or even both -> again not a single output line ... just a cmd.exe consuming my CPU until I restart the system

I attached some screenshots of my problem to this post.

I hope anyone here can help me on this.

Greetz Michael

Re: Eclipse wont start (yet another thread) [message #1445057 is a reply to message #1444961] Wed, 15 October 2014 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Which file did you download from Eclipse.org? Is it 64-bit? Is your Java also 64-bit? Do you have Read and Execute permissions on the entire eclipse directory and everything under it?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse wont start (yet another thread) [message #1445172 is a reply to message #1445057] Wed, 15 October 2014 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The file i got from eclipse.org is named "eclipse-java-luna-SR1-win32-x86_64.zip", so it should be 64-bit.
JDK Setup is named "jdk-8u25-windows-x64.exe" (also tryed 8u20).
I made a screenshot of the command prompt output of "java -version", maybe it's a hint ("eclipse_3.jpg")

I also checked the permissions (just to be sure) and everything looks ok. As an administrator i got unlimited access to all the files (see attachment "eclipse_4.jpg", tho it is in german I hope it's somehow self-explanatory)

Re: Eclipse wont start (yet another thread) [message #1446272 is a reply to message #1445172] Thu, 16 October 2014 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no other hints?
Re: Eclipse wont start (yet another thread) [message #1446338 is a reply to message #1446272] Thu, 16 October 2014 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Try running
./eclipse.exe -consoleLog
in a command prompt, see if any useful information is logged.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 October 2014 18:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse wont start (yet another thread) [message #1446919 is a reply to message #1446338] Fri, 17 October 2014 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Eric,

after a couple of minutes waiting i just got nothing ... again (see attached screenshot)

• Attachment: eclipse_5.JPG
    (Size: 25.07KB, Downloaded 513 times)
Re: Eclipse wont start (yet another thread) [message #1446920 is a reply to message #1446919] Fri, 17 October 2014 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just grasping at straws here, but can you do ./eclipse instead of eclipse to make sure there isn't some other eclipse.exe on your system PATH?
Re: Eclipse wont start (yet another thread) [message #1446929 is a reply to message #1446920] Fri, 17 October 2014 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seems like i'm doing sth. wrong ...
Windows won't accept it with the " ./ "

Just let me check if i got u right -> you want me to go to the path where i unpacked eclipse in command prompt and execute the command you gave me "./eclipse.exe -consoleLog" ... right?
Cause if i enter this i get an cmd error like "command "." is written the wrong way or couldn't be found" (own translation from the german output i get).

[Updated on: Fri, 17 October 2014 14:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse wont start (yet another thread) [message #1446947 is a reply to message #1446929] Fri, 17 October 2014 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My fault, I use Windows Power Shell which is like Linux or OS X and allows the ./ prefix for commands to make sure they are executing from the current directory. Normal Windows command shell doesn't support that, because by default programs in the current directory are used first.

Having said that, I have no idea what's going on for you. I've never seen or heard of Eclipse behaving the way you're describing. Can you post the contents of your eclipse.ini file ?
Re: Eclipse wont start (yet another thread) [message #1446964 is a reply to message #1446947] Fri, 17 October 2014 15:21 Go to previous message
I just tryed something ...

I started Windows in Safemode and did another "clean start" (remove eclipse/java -> fresh download)

After I just unpacked eclipse i tryed to start it and i got the error messages that no java is installed (ofc, i just removed it so it's fine)

Without installing Java i restartet into "normal mode".
I tryed to start either 32-Bit version and 64-Bit version and none of them is doing anything (like before).

So i guess that there is a process or service running that kinda blocks eclipse from starting (i already tryed to disable antivir / antimalware / firewall etc. without success).

Depending on my mood i get the next hours i will either go for a windows reinstall or start removing software by software (or services) from autostart to see which programm causes the issue.

Thanks anyways for all the help i got from you so far.

I'll post again if i can manage to run eclipse succesfully.

Cheers
Previous Topic:Can't create Java-Project
Next Topic:Trouble with remote Java development on Beaglebone Black
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:02:03 GMT 2024