Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Start screen missing ?(No windows available when Eclipse starts)
Start screen missing ? [message #1443058] Sun, 12 October 2014 04:10 Go to next message
Mike Marini is currently offline Mike MariniFriend
Hi, I posted earlier on this but I don't see it here, so I'll try again, this time with pictures

I am starting a course that includes working with Java and we were given a series of Tutorials to walk us through the startup process with Eclipse

My tutorial shows Eclipse populated by various working spaces, similar (to me) to Visual Studio, which I'm somewhat familiar with

When I start Eclipse (Luna, Win7 x64) I get the toolbar at the top, and a sidebar, but everythng else is blank, and I have tried various buttons on the toolbar without success

The help file has a tutorial, but it references things that do not appear on-screen, such as the package explorer, which I see in my course material but not in Luna, did it get changed from an older version?

here is what my course material shows for Eclipse:
](edit: grrr...I can't insert images...great idea)[/color]

Then, this is what Eclipse looks like for me when it starts:

(edit: image as attachment)
Re: Start screen missing ? [message #1443446 is a reply to message #1443058] Sun, 12 October 2014 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, I think that I have answered my own question.....

There is a tab labeled "Window" at the top right, then click on "Reset Perspective"
that seems to show most of what I'm looking for....

Seems like I have to do this each time that I re-open Eclipse, so maybe there is a way to
"sticky" this configuration, but at least I can proceed to do the tutorial now
Re: Start screen missing ? [message #1443996 is a reply to message #1443446] Mon, 13 October 2014 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Something is definitely wrong if you have to Reset Perspective every time you start Eclipse. Are you exiting Eclipse properly after you do that? When Eclipse exits gracefully, it saves the current state of the UI so that it will come back the way you have it.
If all else fails, try creating a new workspace in a different location; workspace metadata can sometimes (rarely) get corrupted so perhaps that's what happened to yours.
Re: Start screen missing ? [message #1444004 is a reply to message #1443996] Mon, 13 October 2014 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Eric, I will try that, appreciate the tip....just glad that I can get moving forward now, so if all I have to do is click in a couple of places to get to the correct configuration, I'm ok with that....

By the way, when you say "exiting Eclipse properly.." what do you mean by that?

I am just clicking on the [X] in the upper right corner, is there a more correct way to end the program?

Re: Start screen missing ? [message #1444210 is a reply to message #1444004] Mon, 13 October 2014 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Closing the window like that should be fine. I was just making sure you weren't doing anything crazy like kill from a Linux command prompt.
Re: Start screen missing ? [message #1444391 is a reply to message #1444210] Tue, 14 October 2014 02:54 Go to previous message
Hi Eric, thanks, just using the conventional Windows closing process....
Previous Topic:Eclipse Kepler - Unable to download JSF user libraries
Next Topic:Unable to delete eclipse project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:39:00 GMT 2024