Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Java EE LUNA(Eclipse gives error on save)
Eclipse Java EE LUNA [message #1438055] Sun, 05 October 2014 12:06 Go to next message
Nigel Hoath is currently offline Nigel HoathFriend
Hi folks

Been beavering away with Eclipse Java EE Luna building a standalone GUI for 2 months. Great fun and I already have a very nice demonstrable application.

This morning just sorting a few small bugs so playing with code (just simple code, nothing new; running - which means saving - and all is great.

However suddenly notice a pop up when I run which says:

"Save All Failed. java.lang.NullPointerException"

and if I click for details it repeats this simple text. I get the pop up if I run or if I save. However my app continues to run fine. And according to Eclipse is codewise error free.

I then made a change and asked Eclipse to exit. It of course recognised the change and asked if I wanted to save. If I said Yes the pop up appeared and I was back in Eclipse. If I said no then I exit.

However upon a restart (of Eclipse) my last change "unsaved I feared from the pop up" is present.

So it would appear the pop up error in reality occurs after the save.

Anyone any thoughts as continuing to grow 7500 lines of source with this raises concerns. Many thanks for any thoughts. Nigel

Performance/Load/Stress tester for large public and private sector orgs because I enjoy it.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 October 2014 12:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Java EE LUNA [message #1438580 is a reply to message #1438055] Mon, 06 October 2014 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just an update. I cannot export and create a jar file due to this error. The pop up appears and the export fails. The good news I guess is that the lack of replies would infer this is not normal.

However I'm left with no alternative but to change IDEs. That has never happened to me before. C'est la vie.

Performance/Load/Stress tester for large public and private sector orgs because I enjoy it.
Re: Eclipse Java EE LUNA [message #1438751 is a reply to message #1438580] Mon, 06 October 2014 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
You could open the Error Log view and see if there is any useful information (or at least some details to post that might help the experts here diagnose the problem).
Otherwise, I'd suggest creating a new workspace and then importing your project(s) into that, to see if it's a problem in the original workspace. You can also export/import preferences from/to one workspace to another using File > Export and File > Import.
Re: Eclipse Java EE LUNA [message #1438765 is a reply to message #1438751] Mon, 06 October 2014 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric many thanks for the reply. I was feeling very lonely lol.

I have now as you suggest cleared down Eclipse, totally reloaded everything (including Eclipse) , reloaded a straight copy of my source, and touch wood everything is ok. No pop up and I can again create a jar file.

Hopefully it was some weird form of corruption. I will certainly now maintain a parallell on linux as experiene says getting off windows leads to less issues but sadly so many of our clients are on windows we have to address the need. But must say I'm rather relieved I can continue with eclipse. I just love ctrl-space, fix it, and many other bits and pieces. Cheers Nigel

Re: Eclipse Java EE LUNA [message #1443163 is a reply to message #1438765] Sun, 12 October 2014 08:20 Go to previous message
Problem work around: After much searching here is my conclusion and sort of workaround . Hopefully it might help someone.

First I found old reports of an Eclipse bug that existed in previous versions. It seems related to dates and times of files within the project. I downloaded and used the free utility "SetFileDate v2.0" and while at first resetting all date/times in the workspace seemed to work the problem continued.

I then found an old post suggecting it was a bug related to break points. And indeed if I remove all breakpoints from my source the issues goes away.

Not ideal but I can live with it. Just to confirm I'm using Windows 7 - 32 bit and Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers. Version: Luna Release (4.4.0) Build id: 20140612-0600

But this doesn't look version specific from my scouring the net. Cheers

Previous Topic:MAVEN, how to debug standalone Java program in Eclipse
Next Topic:Can Eclipse work with Guitar Pro Program?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:36:21 GMT 2024