Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Stand Alone Java App Servlet development...
Stand Alone Java App Servlet development... [message #1435673] Wed, 01 October 2014 20:51 Go to next message
Jim Crowell is currently offline Jim CrowellFriend
Messages: 26
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

I am developing a Java Stand Alone app that contains requirements to interface with my server.

BTW : I also need a web site that interfaces with my server. I download Eclipse Indigo and I am reading up on the 'Dynamic Web Project' plugin that I think is designed for HTML - Servlet projects...

Can you please point me to any documentation as to how I should proceed to develop and test Java Stand Alone app to server hosted Servlets...

FYI :
For my server I am using the Resin 3.x Web Server installed on a Win 8.1 computer...

Also for the Java Stand Alone App I am using Eclipse Galileo. I downloaded the 'Web Developer Tools' to my Galileo Eclipse but the "import javax.javax.servlet.*;" and
"import javax.servlet.http.*;" statements are not accepted...

Is my solution just the above with some project configuration?
I was thinking I would create the Servlet classes, build a .war file and load the .war in the Resin Server folders...

Regards,
Jim...

Re: Stand Alone Java App Servlet development... [message #1435819 is a reply to message #1435673] Thu, 02 October 2014 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend
Messages: 3798
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 10/01/2014 02:51 PM, Jim Crowell wrote:
> Hi,
> I am developing a Java Stand Alone app that contains requirements to
> interface with my server.
>
> BTW : I also need a web site that interfaces with my server. I download
> Eclipse Indigo and I am reading up on the 'Dynamic Web Project' plugin
> that I think is designed for HTML - Servlet projects...
>
> Can you please point me to any documentation as to how I should proceed
> to develop and test Java Stand Alone app to server hosted Servlets...
>
> FYI :
> For my server I am using the Resin 3.x Web Server installed on a Win 8.1
> computer...
>
> Also for the Java Stand Alone App I am using Eclipse Galileo. I
> downloaded the 'Web Developer Tools' to my Galileo Eclipse but the
> "import javax.javax.servlet.*;" and
> "import javax.servlet.http.*;" statements are not accepted...
>
> Is my solution just the above with some project configuration?
> I was thinking I would create the Servlet classes, build a .war file and
> load the .war in the Resin Server folders...
>
> Regards,
> Jim...

I have two bits of advice for you.

First, dump the ancient Eclipse versions and move to current ones.

Second, look for and follow one or more tutorials on this topic. I would
suggest one or more from here:

http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/web.html

but there are many.
Re: Stand Alone Java App Servlet development... [message #1447090 is a reply to message #1435819] Fri, 17 October 2014 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Crowell is currently offline Jim CrowellFriend
Messages: 26
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
>I have two bits of advice for you.

>First, dump the ancient Eclipse versions and move to current ones.
OK. I downloaded and installed the Eclipse-Indigo version...

>Second, look for and follow one or more tutorials on this topic. I would
suggest one or more from here:

>http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/web.html
I could not find a Tutorial that matched my needs...
{I have an Eclipse book by Lars Vogel but it covers 3.7 version and has no servlet references...)

All the Tutorials I found focus on Enterprise environments, JSP, Enterprise Java Beans, etc. All the elements I do not think I need...

I just need to use Indigo to create some simple Java Servlets classes, create a .war file and build the descriptor .xml file required for my Resin 3.x Web Server {I believe this is standard format for TomCat, Resin etc.]...

I tried each of the Project Types in Indigo but kept getting blocked somehow?
What Indigo Project Type should I be using?

I have used Galileo to create the Java Stand Alone Application and would like to use Indigo [Java EE] to code the Servlets but I now think that I'll just use a Text Editor and wing it unless someone on this web site has any suggestions...

Thanks,,,
.
Re: Stand Alone Java App Servlet development... [message #1451183 is a reply to message #1447090] Thu, 23 October 2014 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Messages: 3071
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Indigo is a very old release (3 years old). Why aren't you getting the latest release, Luna?

Also, it's not clear what you're trying to build; if you give a more detailed explanation we might be able to provide more help. Finally, open the Help Contents in Eclipse and browse for Getting Started guides under each section.
Re: Stand Alone Java App Servlet development... [message #1451891 is a reply to message #1451183] Fri, 24 October 2014 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Crowell is currently offline Jim CrowellFriend
Messages: 26
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
> Indigo is a very old release (3 years old). Why aren't you getting the latest release, Luna?
I, at the beginning of this thread, did download what I thought was the latest Eclipse Java EE version for a Mac OS X system???
My background with Eclipse is not good when going to a new version.
I have always had difficulty getting the project to migrate to the new version.
Therefore, I take the "If it is not broken, don't fix it" approach...


> Also, it's not clear what you're trying to build; If you give a more detailed explanation we might be able to provide more help. Finally, open the Help Contents in Eclipse and browse for Getting Started guides under each section.

Done all that...
I must just be to dumb to figure this out !
All I wanted to know is how to use Eclipse to create Java Servlets and their .war file(s)
There is a Servlet line item under projects but it requires a Project name...
My question was what Eclipse Project to use to just build Servlets without establishing any Enterprise components that I think do not apply to my project...

It is hard to believe that I am the only developer who wants to use Eclipse to just build Java Servlets,
so again, I must be unable [dumb] to adequately describe my situation...

FYI Status:
I was going to bypass Eclipse and do the Servlet development using a Java aware Text Editor and the Mac terminal to build my Servlets...
However, now I am going to bypass Java Servlets and use Node.js and JaveScript to hopefully do what I was going to do using Java Servlets...
Re: Stand Alone Java App Servlet development... [message #1452139 is a reply to message #1451891] Fri, 24 October 2014 21:23 Go to previous message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend
Messages: 3798
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 10/24/2014 06:59 AM, Jim Crowell wrote:
>> Indigo is a very old release (3 years old). Why aren't you getting the
>> latest release, Luna?

I confess that my favorite release is Indigo because I don't like where
the cosmetics went beginning with Juno. (Maybe it's a Linux thing that
no one else notices because they're on Windows. Still, I've used Juno
and Kepler and they work fine.)

What you should do is spend some time on this page, particularly the
first two tutorials. You can do them using Indigo.

http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/web.html
Previous Topic:Make sure all dependencies are open
Next Topic:How to change default path to a compiler?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Nov 16 21:29:57 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03907 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top