Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Disable line wrapping for all text files?
Disable line wrapping for all text files? [message #1428347] Sun, 21 September 2014 18:03 Go to next message
Dave H is currently offline Dave HFriend
I edit a lot of different file types in Eclipse (Java, HTML, PHP, CSS) but I only want line breaks that are in the file to show up, not soft breaks that Eclipse adds to line wrap, but I'm not seeing how to disable this for all files. I'm actually having trouble finding it for each file type, as the options (if they're there) seem to be different or use different terminology and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing there.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 September 2014 18:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Disable line wrapping for all text files? [message #1428848 is a reply to message #1428347] Mon, 22 September 2014 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
I don't know of any Eclipse editors that do soft line wrapping. There is a long-standing feature request to support it, but nothing has ever been done in the product to address it; someone posted a patch, but unless you manually installed it you should not be seeing soft wrapping. Can you post a screen shot showing it?
Re: Disable line wrapping for all text files? [message #1429120 is a reply to message #1428848] Mon, 22 September 2014 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave H is currently offline Dave HFriend
I'm not looking for soft line wrapping. Eclipse already does that; that's the problem. I only want it to wrap the line where somebody's put a hard break on it. By hard break I mean hit the Enter key. Right now Eclipse is breaking lines where it decides, not where anybody intentionally wanted the break.

The reason I only want hard breaks to show is because I use multiple editors and not always showing the same width, so the line breaks should not be based on the width but on where we want them. Typically I prefer each line by default always extending with no soft wrapping at all.
Re: Disable line wrapping for all text files? [message #1429691 is a reply to message #1429120] Tue, 23 September 2014 15:46 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
You've misunderstood me. What I'm saying is that Eclipse doesn't do soft line wrapping, at least not in any editors I know about. Can you show a screen shot of an Eclipse editor that appears to be doing soft wrapping? What kind of file(s)?
Previous Topic:How to check configuration error being shown
Next Topic:XMLGregorianCalendar error Eclipse Luna
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:57:24 GMT 2024