Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse typing slowly(Problem with eclipse)
Eclipse typing slowly [message #1422378] Fri, 12 September 2014 19:15 Go to next message
Michael Murphey is currently offline Michael MurpheyFriend
I'm using eclipse luna on Oracle Java 8 on Ubuntu 14.04.1. When I type to edit a file the words on screen lag behind what I'm typing on my keyboard. There is a noticeable delay between when I type a word and when that word appears on the screen. Eclipse doesn't use a troubling amount of memory or CPU. When I type something that's not in a file such as naming a new project, it types normally. I've tried reinstalling eclipse, editing the eclipse.ini file and changing settings but nothing seems to work. I also reinstalled Ubuntu but that didn't work either. I have tried previous versions of eclipse with the same results.
Re: Eclipse typing slowly [message #1422936 is a reply to message #1422378] Sat, 13 September 2014 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
One way for finding out what's causing this would be to open the Progress view and watch what jobs might be appearing there.

If the delay is long enough, you could even use a tool like jvisualvm to get a thread dump while eclipse is still pondering your typed characters.

The key question certainly is: which plugin is causing this?

S.
Re: Eclipse typing slowly [message #1423636 is a reply to message #1422936] Sun, 14 September 2014 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the progress view, I didn't see any jobs other than the Git Repository Change Scanner and I don't believe that is the problem since it didn't make any difference when I stopped it. I used visualvm to get a thread dump while I was typing in eclipse and then another thread dump half a minute later after it was done getting the characters on screen.
Re: Eclipse typing slowly [message #1441562 is a reply to message #1423636] Thu, 09 October 2014 22:44 Go to previous message
It was a graphics card driver issue. I switched to the NVIDIA legacy binary driver version 304.117 and now everything works perfectly.
Previous Topic:Newbie Q - PoM changes not reflected in eclipse
Next Topic:Eclipse Hovers Window does not show buttons
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 11:16:17 GMT 2024