Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Updating the eclipse base of a commercial product?(Updating eclipse)
Updating the eclipse base of a commercial product? [message #1420318] Tue, 09 September 2014 21:00 Go to next message
Martin Iturbide is currently offline Martin IturbideFriend
Hello

I'm new on this forums and I'm not an eclipse power user.

I wanted to ask the feasibility of an idea. I use "Websphere Business Modeler (WBM)" from IBM which is based on a old Eclipse base. I want to see if it can be possible to update the eclipse base of this product, since I want to use a "Git" extension for eclipse which is not supported on "Websphere Business Modeler" (Because it is an old eclipse).

I was wondering if it can be possible download Eclipse Luna (eclipse-standard-luna-R-win32.zip) and try to replace the eclipse components from WBM.

I tried to do it by first by overwriting the eclipse files to the luna ones and trying to change the "eclipse.ini" and "config.ini" to try to match it to the Eclipse Luna ones, but I always get an error and does not work.

Please let me know if this can be possible, or it is a complete "No Go" since "WBM" was built with an older eclipse and there is no way it can run (without updating its source code). Or maybe I'm doing all wrong.

I'm attaching the WBM .ini files as examples and an error log.

Regards
Martin
  • Attachment: config.ini
    (Size: 1.69KB, Downloaded 200 times)
  • Attachment: eclipse.ini
    (Size: 0.47KB, Downloaded 105 times)
  • Attachment: 1410293185369.log
    (Size: 39.56KB, Downloaded 108 times)
Re: Updating the eclipse base of a commercial product? [message #1434778 is a reply to message #1420318] Tue, 30 September 2014 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
....uhm.. no thoughts? Maybe what I want to do is very odd, or it can not be done.
Re: Updating the eclipse base of a commercial product? [message #1434934 is a reply to message #1434778] Tue, 30 September 2014 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

It puts you in a position where neither the product vendor nor the community can help you should something go wrong.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Tue, 30 September 2014 20:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Updating the eclipse base of a commercial product? [message #1435407 is a reply to message #1434934] Wed, 01 October 2014 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
It's not likely to work, but if I were going to try to do this I would try using Import > From Existing Installation. Using that you can point to the root of your WBM installation and see if you can figure out what features to pull into Luna. It's a long shot, though; IBM usually bloats up Eclipse pretty badly with it's commercial products.
Re: Updating the eclipse base of a commercial product? [message #1463829 is a reply to message #1435407] Fri, 07 November 2014 00:17 Go to previous message
Thanks Eric. I will try your suggestion.

I'm experimenting with this so I don't expect any formal support, I'm doing this on a non-critical/testing machine that I can screw up so I don't worry about it. I don't want formal support.

Regards
Previous Topic:How to have an Integrated IDE - C/C++, Java, and Android - Luna ?
Next Topic:Build Mars SDK from source code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:01:22 GMT 2024