Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Confused about Eclipse Indigo
Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1413198] Thu, 28 August 2014 03:10 Go to next message
Dwayne Middleton is currently offline Dwayne MiddletonFriend
Hello. I just joined the site tonight because I need to know how Eclipse works. I'm trying to start a mobile app developing project and went to this site to dl a few things I might need for Scringo.

now I'm being told Eclipse 3.7.2 (Indigo) or greater is supposed to be installed along with Eclipse and a ADT but if I don't have Eclipse installed to just use the Android SDK. I really need a little help as to what would be best let alone the difference between the 2, watching youtube videos on Scringo are confusing enough since I'm not familiar with the software but all this other stuff really doesn't help. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1413535 is a reply to message #1413198] Thu, 28 August 2014 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
If you don't already have an Eclipse installed, your best bet is to download the SDK which includes ADT (and thus, includes Eclipse) already integrated. See http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
By the way, if you end up with Android or ADT specific questions, it's best to ask on the Android Developer forums; these forums are for Eclipse-specific questions.
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1413547 is a reply to message #1413535] Thu, 28 August 2014 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's what I figured hence me asking. I couldn't post that link because it's my 1st time posting on this forum let alone signing up. Guess I'll be on the Android forum, I already dl'ed the file last night.

By the way what have you used Eclipse for personally?
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1413814 is a reply to message #1413547] Fri, 29 August 2014 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally I've done a lot of different things with Eclipse. I've used it for more than 10 years as a Java IDE to develop many different kinds of applications and systems. I've also used it for Android development and even some web development (Javascript, PHP, CSS, etc). For a few years I made my living as a developer/architect of products that are based on Eclipse (essentially, custom IDEs that were built on top of the Eclipse platform).
There are many other things that people use Eclipse for; these are only some of the more common ones. The point is that Eclipse is a lot of different things to different people; it's not just an IDE, it's a platform and a pluggable framework. Oh, and an awesome community! Smile
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1414324 is a reply to message #1413814] Sun, 31 August 2014 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pardon my ignorance because I'm still starting but what does IDE mean?

I also had another question--what's the basic or proper template set-up for a Instant Message/Chat mobile app? How many pages should it have and how do I set the pages up? I've been trying to figure out how to do this as far as coding and such in HTML/CSS let alone any other format.
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1414327 is a reply to message #1414324] Sun, 31 August 2014 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 08/30/2014 06:51 PM, Dwayne Middleton wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance because I'm still starting but what does IDE mean?
>
> I also had another question--what's the basic or proper template set-up
> for a Instant Message/Chat mobile app? How many pages should it have and
> how do I set the pages up? I've been trying to figure out how to do this
> as far as coding and such in HTML/CSS let alone any other format.

Integrated Development Environment, an application that offers editing,
compilation and linking as well as (usually) a multitude of other useful
functions.

Your second question totally transcends the purpose of this forum. You
might try stackoverflow.com with careful tagging.
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1414381 is a reply to message #1414324] Sun, 31 August 2014 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I'm having an issue with this right here. I can't open/run Eclipse to begin with because I get a error message saying that it failed to create the Java Virtual Machine, whatever that is.

don't worry, I'm going to the ADT forum to ask questions as well.
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1414514 is a reply to message #1414381] Sun, 31 August 2014 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 08/30/2014 11:14 PM, Dwayne Middleton wrote:
> Ok I'm having an issue with this right here. I can't open/run Eclipse to
> begin with because I get a error message saying that it failed to create
> the Java Virtual Machine, whatever that is.
>
> don't worry, I'm going to the ADT forum to ask questions as well.

This is an Eclipse understanding issue. Something's wrong with your
set-up. Please be more specific with the message. What does it say?
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1414550 is a reply to message #1414514] Sun, 31 August 2014 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've figured it out now. I found a tutorial on an Android forum that had instructions on installing Eclipse as well as Java JDK and Android SDK and it's been more than helpful (like, for instance, that I didn't install anything in the C folder but my external HD). Everything seems to be going ok now, all I have to do is finish making the proper installations then run Eclipse to see if it works.
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1415346 is a reply to message #1414550] Tue, 02 September 2014 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok the issue I'm having now is that when I go to Help/Install New Software and add a link I get stuck. I can't find nor know what type of link to add for it to import the Scringo SDK file let alone read and open my libs folder. I moved it from the C Drive to my desktop to see if there will be any changes--none. STILL can't read or open that folder. I don't know what type of link I'm supposed to add for it to open those files let alone read those folders. Is there something else I might be missing?
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1415535 is a reply to message #1413198] Wed, 03 September 2014 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I think I know what the issue is and I want to know how to correct it:

http://androidforums.com/application-development/2314-installing-eclipse-android-sdk-windows-xp.html

When I get to the step where I make an Android folder and unzip it in the C drive, I get lost. After I do this (I assume INSIDE the C Drive not outside in a folder) I go to Environmental Variables and follow the steps of adding the path and after that nothing happens--the path gets lost. I also tried to follow this tut which is more updated but basically kinda the same:

http://www.scringo.com/blog/how-to-install-the-android-sdk/

but this one has the link, unlike the one for the Android forum site it has no images to go with it which leaves me very confused so I follow both. I want to know what I'm doing wrong, why is Eclipse not finding the path to the SDK let alone read the libs folder that the SDK is featured in?
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1415537 is a reply to message #1415346] Wed, 03 September 2014 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 09/02/2014 09:16 AM, Dwayne Middleton wrote:
> Ok the issue I'm having now is that when I go to Help/Install New
> Software and add a link I get stuck. I can't find nor know what type of
> link to add for it to import the Scringo SDK file let alone read and
> open my libs folder. I moved it from the C Drive to my desktop to see if
> there will be any changes--none. STILL can't read or open that folder. I
> don't know what type of link I'm supposed to add for it to open those
> files let alone read those folders. Is there something else I might be
> missing?

The best place to go is Eclipse Marketplace.

If you go to Install New Software, you can only provide a URL, I believe.

If you have a suitable plug-in in-hand, you can drop it into
eclipse/dropins.

Does this help?
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1415538 is a reply to message #1415535] Wed, 03 September 2014 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 09/02/2014 08:31 PM, Dwayne Middleton wrote:
> Ok I think I know what the issue is and I want to know how to correct it:
>
> http://androidforums.com/application-development/2314-installing-eclipse-android-sdk-windows-xp.html
>
>
> When I get to the step where I make an Android folder and unzip it in
> the C drive, I get lost. After I do this (I assume INSIDE the C Drive
> not outside in a folder) I go to Environmental Variables and follow the
> steps of adding the path and after that nothing happens--the path gets
> lost. I also tried to follow this tut which is more updated but
> basically kinda the same:
>
> http://www.scringo.com/blog/how-to-install-the-android-sdk/
>
> but this one has the link, unlike the one for the Android forum site it
> has no images to go with it which leaves me very confused so I follow
> both. I want to know what I'm doing wrong, why is Eclipse not finding
> the path to the SDK let alone read the libs folder that the SDK is
> featured in?

These third-party additions to Eclipse have their own support forums. As
you should have read in the sticky posts at the top of the forum, you do
better asking questions about problems installing the ADT SDK in an
Android forum.
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1415542 is a reply to message #1415538] Wed, 03 September 2014 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's what I've been doing--going back and forth hoping SOMEBODY has some advice for me. Both of these forums have helped a bit, the Buzztouch wasn't very helpful.
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1415544 is a reply to message #1415537] Wed, 03 September 2014 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse/dropins? Is this in the Eclipse Toolbar? If so what do I do--just drop the SDK file in there?
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1415752 is a reply to message #1415544] Wed, 03 September 2014 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

No, it's literally the "dropins" directory under the top -level "eclipse" directory. It would be a sibling of the "features" and "plugins" directories.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1415754 is a reply to message #1415752] Wed, 03 September 2014 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't use the /dropins folder - it's not likely to work out the way you want. Use Install New Software or the Eclipse Marketplace.
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1415769 is a reply to message #1415754] Wed, 03 September 2014 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is this Eclipse Marketplace? I'm on the site but am confused, what am I supposed to do here? Remember this is my 1st time doing ANY of this so I would like a little assistance please, Thank You in advance. I'm willing to go as far as to ask if anybody here has Skype or Team Viewer, I'm that desperate. I'm afraid if I don't figure this out I'm going to lose interest and abandon the whole thing, this is really frustrating me. I don't know why Eclipse won't find the path for me or import it.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 September 2014 16:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1415886 is a reply to message #1415769] Wed, 03 September 2014 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 09/03/2014 09:06 AM, Dwayne Middleton wrote:
> What is this Eclipse Marketplace? I'm on the site but am confused, what
> am I supposed to do here? Remember this is my 1st time doing ANY of this
> so I would like a little assistance please, Thank You in advance.

Help -> Eclipse Marketplace.

There's also help for using the Eclipse Marketplace wizard in Help ->
Help Contents -> Eclipse Marketplace User Guide.
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1415888 is a reply to message #1415542] Wed, 03 September 2014 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 09/02/2014 08:49 PM, Dwayne Middleton wrote:
> That's what I've been doing--going back and forth hoping SOMEBODY has
> some advice for me. Both of these forums have helped a bit, the
> Buzztouch wasn't very helpful.

I realize that it's difficult to understand where some of the
third-party tools stop and Eclipse begins. The best thing to do is to
follow a tutorial step-by-step.

For example: http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/android.html
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1416214 is a reply to message #1415888] Thu, 04 September 2014 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank You for these links Russell. I think I figured out what the issue could be and I might've mentioned it here before.

When I go to my Android folder to run Eclipse it won't work, I get a error message telling me that it failed to run the Java Virtual Machine. The only time I can run Eclipse is in the Eclipse folder, not the Android one ( I dl'ed both Eclipse and this Android pack
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

this is the one I'm trying to use to no avail
http://www.scringo.com/docs/android-guides/quickstart/)

Now I'm trying to overstand and figure out if I have to start over and uninstall/install some stuff again, I saw a video tutorial last night that showed me the person activating Eclipse in the Android folder. I can't do that. I'm assuming because it can't run the Java Virtual Machine that I can't access the SDKs in Eclipse PERIOD. Do you think this might be the issue as well, why I can't go to Environmental Variables and find a path or go to Help/Install New Software and can't open the libs folder with those SDKs in them?
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1417257 is a reply to message #1416214] Fri, 05 September 2014 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

On 09/04/2014 09:38 AM, Dwayne Middleton wrote:
> Thank You for these links Russell. I think I figured out what the issue
> could be and I might've mentioned it here before.
> When I go to my Android folder to run Eclipse it won't work, I get a
> error message telling me that it failed to run the Java Virtual Machine.
> The only time I can run Eclipse is in the Eclipse folder, not the
> Android one ( I dl'ed both Eclipse and this Android pack
> http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
>
> this is the one I'm trying to use to no avail
> http://www.scringo.com/docs/android-guides/quickstart/)
>
> Now I'm trying to overstand and figure out if I have to start over and
> uninstall/install some stuff again, I saw a video tutorial last night
> that showed me the person activating Eclipse in the Android folder. I
> can't do that. I'm assuming because it can't run the Java Virtual
> Machine that I can't access the SDKs in Eclipse PERIOD. Do you think
> this might be the issue as well, why I can't go to Environmental
> Variables and find a path or go to Help/Install New Software and can't
> open the libs folder with those SDKs in them?

Typically, Eclipse is launched via a shortcut (in Windows), a panel
launcher (in a Linux GUI) or whatever Mac guys call theirs (I'm not a
completely idiot, though almost, I just don't remember off the top of my
head: my wife uses a Mac, but I do not).

I think you're running Windows. So, typically you launch by clicking
your shortcut, probably on the taskbar. Eclipse comes up and offers to
open the most recently opened workspace unless at one point you told it
always to open some workspace by default.

You never need to worry about where you are because Eclipse works
relative to a) a workspace and b) wherever your projects are, which by
default is in a workspace, but I always tell it to leave my project
source code and resources wherever I happen to put them which is almost
never in an actual workspace. This is an open of the New Project and
Import... wizards.

The URL you post is only about wiring up ADT to Eclipse. It's not about
Eclipse development habits. You have to marry the two and Mr. Smiling
Ofer thinks you already know that. This is why following Lars' tutorial
will teach you a great deal though it * * might * * be a little old. If
it still works, and it's probably been updated, it will help you a lot.

Best,

Russ
Re: Confused about Eclipse Indigo [message #1417514 is a reply to message #1417257] Fri, 05 September 2014 16:15 Go to previous message
Dude, I am running it on Windows but I don't have no shortcut icon on my desktop or the Start menu, never had. Is this a problem? I see that I made quite a few mistakes when I installed everything, I might have to uninstall/install again because that seems to be the only solution. The only way I can access Eclipse is if I go to the Eclipse folder in my C Drive (my Eclipse and Android folders are in there). Like I said I can't wire anything to Eclipse that I want because the path gets lost when I go to Environmental Variables. I'm not sure if you overstand what I'm even saying, those previous 2 links I posted on the 2nd of Sept is what I'm talking about, not running Eclipse in general. I can run Eclipse, I just can't open any of those SDKs let alone locate them because there's no path leading to them.
Previous Topic:Deploy test resource to Tomcat Server
Next Topic:This Is the Only Thing I Need!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:34:33 GMT 2024