Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse+ Photran + Fortan + Debugger don't work(debugger doesn't stop on break points)
Eclipse+ Photran + Fortan + Debugger don't work [message #1411557] Sat, 23 August 2014 18:02 Go to next message
Eclipse GuestFriend
I have

Win 7
Eclipse Luna 4.4.0 Build 20140612-0600
Photran 8.2.1
Cygwin Devel Packages gfortran + make (used)
MinGW with g95 (installed but not used because no make.exe)

So I downloaded the Hello World example, changed it a bit

program HelloW
implicit none
integer i
i=1
print *,i
print *, "Hello MPI World"
i=i+1
print *,i
i=1000
print *,i
end program

1) So problem number one. The default debuggers (Run->Debug Configuration->Debugger) gdbserver and minGW gbd don't work, because they need .gdbinit. I created an empty file .gdbinit, but it doesn't help. I could find no info of what must be inside.

Next problem:
2) As debugger I chose gdb/mi. It seems to work without .gdbinit. I set a break point in front of integer i line. I start the debugger but it looks like it runs till the end of the program and suspends there (the last line end program is lighted green). Now if I press F5 it starts to move in the program step by step from the very beginning, but it needs 3 button presses to do 1 line. It first jumps forward, nothing happens, then it jumps back, and on the 3rd press it jumps forward again and execute the line (e.g. the variable i changes). What the hell is that?

Are there any users alive, who debugged a Fortran program under Eclipse?
Re: Eclipse+ Photran + Fortan + Debugger don't work [message #1553612 is a reply to message #1411557] Thu, 08 January 2015 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jose Martins is currently offline Jose MartinsFriend
Hi

I hope you solved your problems in the meanwhile. I am also new to Eclipse but have been using fortran for a while. Hope this can be usefull for other people with the same problems...

I'm using Eclipse on WinXP and Win7 with minGW.

1) .gdbinit aparently is not necessary! just ignore it!

2) most important: to debug you have to get your workspace in a path without spaces!
something like "c:\whatever\workspace" will work...
"c:\Documents and Settings\jose\workspace" will not work.

hope it helps

Jose
Re: Eclipse+ Photran + Fortan + Debugger don't work [message #1720043 is a reply to message #1411557] Thu, 14 January 2016 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jacob Robbins is currently offline Jacob RobbinsFriend
Hello,

Does anyone have an update to this? I have the exact same problems, two years out!!!

Has been an unbelievable hassle setting up the debugger for Eclipse Fortran.

JR
Re: Eclipse+ Photran + Fortan + Debugger don't work [message #1720251 is a reply to message #1720043] Fri, 15 January 2016 14:58 Go to previous message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
The Photran project uses a mailing list for community involvement/support. See https://www.eclipse.org/photran/mailinglists.php
Previous Topic:problems running an opencl program from eclipse IDE
Next Topic:Luna works, Mars doesn't: "the specified workspace cannot be created"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:41:52 GMT 2024