Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse won't start
Eclipse won't start [message #1407865] Wed, 13 August 2014 16:49 Go to next message
Claude Merger-Steinmetz is currently offline Claude Merger-SteinmetzFriend
Yes , I read the message at the head of this forum, and modified the ini file as suggested. Bur still. Eclipse does not start. And now I get this message

The JVM shared library "/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/../lib/server/libjvm.dylib"
does not contain the JNI_CreateJavaVM symbol.

Here is my ini file:

-startup
../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20140415-2008.jar
--launcher.library
../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.cocoa.macosx.x86_64_1.1.200.v20140603-1326
-product
org.eclipse.epp.package.standard.product
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vm
/Library/Internet Plug-ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java
--launcher.appendVmargs
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.7
-XstartOnFirstThread
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m
-Xdock:icon=../Resources/Eclipse.icns
-XstartOnFirstThread

I am completely new to Eclipse. I had a previous customized version from The Standford university which had no problem. I uninstalled everything before installing this version.

Can someone help me get this program running.
Thanks in advance
Claude

Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1408218 is a reply to message #1407865] Thu, 14 August 2014 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
You've pointed -vm to a strange Java version. Try using one of the standard locations as described in https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini#-vm_value:_Mac_OS_X_Example
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1408540 is a reply to message #1408218] Fri, 15 August 2014 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Claude Merger-Steinmetz is currently offline Claude Merger-SteinmetzFriend
Thanks Eric for your post.It helped me to figure out what was the problem. In fact the java directory was empty.
It turned out that I only had the JRE installed. Once I installed the JDK, Eclipse launched and worked.
Eclipse could have told me that the JDK was not installed at install!
Thanks again.
Claude
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1408600 is a reply to message #1408540] Fri, 15 August 2014 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse could not have told you anything, because Eclipse can't run without a valid JVM in which to run. JVM management on OS X is really messed up, and Apple has made it worse with every update.
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1629706 is a reply to message #1408600] Sun, 22 February 2015 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joseph Janos is currently offline Joseph JanosFriend
I have a similar problem but the solution outlined here doesn't work.

I modified the -vm param as suggested (see below) and it gets me the error message about missing JNI symbols in the /Library/Internet Plug-ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/.../libserver/ etc library.

The weird thing is that I don't reference this library anywhere in my eclipse.ini

If I run the command line:
./eclipse -vm /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_31.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java

then eclipse starts up fine!

I used to have Kepler and it worked. I installed Luna and this is when it stopped working. After that I also installed Java 8 from Java 7.

Here is my eclipse.ini file

Thanks LOT for looking into this, it drives me slightly mad.

-startup
../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20140415-2008.jar
--launcher.library
../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.cocoa.macosx.x86_64_1.1.200.v20140603-1326
-product
org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.appendVmargs
--vm
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_31.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6
-XstartOnFirstThread
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m
-Xdock:icon=../Resources/Eclipse.icns
-XstartOnFirstThread
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1705221 is a reply to message #1629706] Thu, 13 August 2015 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adriano Devillaine is currently offline Adriano DevillaineFriend
You have a mistake in you eclipse.ini.

The vm parameter in your file should be:
-vm
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_51.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java

Please note that you shpuld put only one '-' character before the vm parameter.

Cheers.
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1707298 is a reply to message #1705221] Thu, 03 September 2015 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob Lewis is currently offline Rob LewisFriend
I just installed Java EE 8 from Oracle, and my /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines directory is empty! Could there be some difference between EE and the standard JDK?

Java 8 is installed in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin. This Terminal command:
/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -version
produces this output:
java version "1.8.0_60"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_60-b27)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)

I do have Java 1.6 installed in /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines. Don't know how it got there. Maybe it's the one that Mars offered to install and then said it couldn't use because it needs at least 1.7!
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1707305 is a reply to message #1707298] Thu, 03 September 2015 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob Lewis is currently offline Rob LewisFriend
OK, I seem to have gotten it working. Issues:

1. When you "download Java for Mac" from the Oracle site, you only get the runtime, which installs in the /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/... directory. I had to explicitly search Oracle for the JDK download, which installs (as expected) in /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines.

2. I had to edit the Eclipse.ini file, but the commented-out lines in it are wrong.
It's not:
<string>-vm</string><string>/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.8.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java</string>

It's:
<string>-vm</string><string>/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java</string>

Note the name difference for the .jdk directory.

Hopefully I won't have to go through this each time Java gets an update.
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1707311 is a reply to message #1707305] Thu, 03 September 2015 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, Apple made a terrible mess when they were responsible for the JRE and JDK releases for OS X. Oracle might or might not be doing better about it.
In any case, the Eclipse Installer (Oomph) that's available now does a pretty good job of identifying JREs/JDKs on your system and configuring eclipse.ini the right way. Give it a try next time you want to install Eclipse.
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1707369 is a reply to message #1707311] Fri, 04 September 2015 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andras Menyhart is currently offline Andras MenyhartFriend
Hello,

I have a problem with eclipse.
It won't strat /windows/ and have a long log. I paste the end of the log.

!MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.ui.ide_[3.2.0,4.0.0).
!SUBENTRY 2 org.eclipse.wst.xsd.ui 2 0 2015-09-04 10:23:28.620
!MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.emf.edit.ui_[2.2.0,3.0.0).
!MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.ltk.ui.refactoring_[3.2.0,4.0.0).
!MESSAGE Missing required bundle org.eclipse.search_[3.2.0,4.0.0).

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2015-09-04 10:23:28.630
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: Application "org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench" could not be found in the registry. The applications available are: org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner, org.eclipse.equinox.app.error, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.garbagecollector.application, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.InstallPublisher, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.EclipseGenerator, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.ProductPublisher, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.reconciler.application, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.repository.repo2runnable, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.repository.metadataverifier, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.repository.mirrorApplication, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.repository.mirrorApplication, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.updatesite.UpdateSitePublisher, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.UpdateSitePublisher, org.eclipse.equinox.p2.publisher.CategoryPublisher, org.eclipse.help.base.infocenterApplication, org.eclipse.help.base.helpApplication, org.eclipse.help.base.indexTool, org.eclipse.jdt.apt.core.aptBuild, org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaCodeFormatter, org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaIndexer.
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppContainer.startDefaultApp(EclipseAppContainer.java:248)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.MainApplicationLauncher.run(MainApplicationLauncher.java:29)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:354)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:181)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:636)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:591)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1450)

Can anybody help me?
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1707422 is a reply to message #1707369] Fri, 04 September 2015 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 09/04/2015 04:14 AM, Andras Menyhart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with eclipse. It won't strat /windows/ and have a long
> log. I paste the end of the log.
>
> [snip]
>
> Can anybody help me?

You shouldn't hijack forum threads.

Did you check out the sticky posts at forum's top? There's one
especially for you.
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1707547 is a reply to message #1707422] Mon, 07 September 2015 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andras Menyhart is currently offline Andras MenyhartFriend
I checked but didn't find solution for this problem.
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1707617 is a reply to message #1707547] Tue, 08 September 2015 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 09/07/2015 03:02 AM, Andras Menyhart wrote:
> I checked but didn't find solution for this problem.

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/198527/
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1707629 is a reply to message #1707617] Tue, 08 September 2015 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fathy Sakr is currently offline fathy SakrFriend
I think the issue is with the link. /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java links to the java Plugin for safari, which is different from the regular version of java.

When you changed the link, you changed the link from a valid jvm to a plugin.

java -version returns the default version of java, which on Macs, is jdk 6, and comes with your mac. To get the location of all versions of java, run /usr/libexec/java_home, which on my mac, leads to /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_40.jdk/Contents/Home.

Another way to list all Java installations is by opening the Java Control Panel, which should be openable from System Preferences.

Hope this helps!
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1737826 is a reply to message #1707311] Wed, 13 July 2016 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Felix Dorner is currently offline Felix DornerFriend
Eric Rizzo wrote on Thu, 03 September 2015 16:03

In any case, the Eclipse Installer (Oomph) that's available now does a pretty good job of identifying JREs/JDKs on your system and configuring eclipse.ini the right way. Give it a try next time you want to install Eclipse.

Ok so I just tried this. I have installed the JRE which will go into the Internet Plugins path mentioned above. The latest eclipse installer does NOT recognize this location so I had to select it manually after which 1 new JVM installation is found. When bootstrap finishes, the error about the missing CreateJVM Symbol pops up. I will now try the JDK version and see what happens, but it would be great to get it working just with the jre.
Re: Eclipse won't start [message #1738378 is a reply to message #1737826] Tue, 19 July 2016 10:47 Go to previous message
Becky Longman is currently offline Becky LongmanFriend
I have the same problem and I will try the methods mentioned here. Thanks.
Previous Topic:Eclipse Unzip-Plugin with the Sonatype Nexus 3.0
Next Topic:Setting SSH connection on secondary ethernet card
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 13:57:14 GMT 2024