Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » can't separate Eclipse Project from git Work Directory
can't separate Eclipse Project from git Work Directory [message #1407112] Mon, 11 August 2014 22:46 Go to next message
Al S is currently offline Al SFriend
I'm new to egit. I have a git server on a NAS on my LAN. I have created a bare git repo on that NAS. I want to be able to work from various machines and be able to push/pull from the NAS (as a central repository, while still having all history locally (and ability to commit) while traveling/offline).

I've created a local git repo on a work machine (client) by cloning the NAS repo (empty at this point).
I have a project in Eclipse that I now want to place under source control in the local git repo, as well as push to the NAS (central) repo. I've read, and agree (I just learned a hard lesson) that I would like to keep my project (Work Directory) separate from the git repo.

When I try to share the existing project (Context Menu->Team->Share Project...) I can't find any way to establish a relationship with the empty, cloned, local git repo without moving the Eclipse Workspace for the project into a subdirectory (named the same as the Eclipse Project) that is parallel with the git repo (the .git directory).

Is what I am trying to do flawed or non-optimal? If so, what is wrong? If not, how can I achieve this?
Re: can't separate Eclipse Project from git Work Directory [message #1420085 is a reply to message #1407112] Tue, 09 September 2014 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
You can't at the moment since AFAIK EGit doesn't yet support a setup with a custom working directory.
Re: can't separate Eclipse Project from git Work Directory [message #1749042 is a reply to message #1420085] Thu, 01 December 2016 12:08 Go to previous message
Simone Cafiero is currently offline Simone CafieroFriend
Is there any update for this? I tried with the new tools version:

- Eclipse Neon.1 Release (4.6.1)
- EGit 4.5.0

But no success.
Previous Topic:origin/master toggles with each fetch
Next Topic:Have an option to sort (un)staged files by diretory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:05:07 GMT 2024