Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Using Eclipse ADT for Non-Android projects(Need to un-ADT Eclipse)
Using Eclipse ADT for Non-Android projects [message #1406662] Sun, 10 August 2014 19:57 Go to next message
Tony G is currently offline Tony GFriend
I'm running Windows 8.1 with ADT v22.3. I can't tell which version of Eclipse this is, but it's at least 3.7. The environment is heavily "branded" for Android.

1) Can I startup the IDE without the ADT branding?

2) In a non-Android Workspace with pure Java projects, are there going to be any Android-related artifacts? Default imports or libraries? Some unnecessary reference to Android in any config file?

3) Should I install a separate instance of Eclipse for non-Android efforts?

Thanks.
Re: Using Eclipse ADT for Non-Android projects [message #1406756 is a reply to message #1406662] Mon, 11 August 2014 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 08/10/2014 04:17 PM, Tony G wrote:
> I'm running Windows 8.1 with ADT v22.3. I can't tell which version of
> Eclipse this is, but it's at least 3.7. The environment is heavily
> "branded" for Android.
>
> 1) Can I startup the IDE without the ADT branding?
>
> 2) In a non-Android Workspace with pure Java projects, are there going
> to be any Android-related artifacts? Default imports or libraries? Some
> unnecessary reference to Android in any config file?
>
> 3) Should I install a separate instance of Eclipse for non-Android efforts?
>
> Thanks.

1) Please read sticky posts at the top of the forum.

2) There is nothing in projects, even Android ones, that you don't put
there yourself.

3) I like to do that personally, but there is no technical reason
whatsoever for it.
Re: Using Eclipse ADT for Non-Android projects [message #1407020 is a reply to message #1406756] Mon, 11 August 2014 17:34 Go to previous message
Tony G is currently offline Tony GFriend
Thanks for the reply but I'm hoping to see others.

Quote:
1) Please read sticky posts at the top of the forum.
I did. This is not an ADT-specific question like "how do I display the emulator, or code for a camera". This is about Eclipse and it's ability to start without specific plugins. That information would be of value to any Eclipse user which has a plugin like this.

I just found menu>Window>Preferences>General>Startup and Shutdown.
This has an option to uncheck ADT and other plugins. I don't know if this is equivalent to -clean, if either of these are preferable, or if there is another way to do this. Someone might say "why don't you just try it?" But I don't know if that will damage the environment for when I want to continue Android development.

Quote:
2) There is nothing in projects, even Android ones, that you don't put there yourself.
Correct, thanks. I created a new workspace and a Maven Project and found no Android artifacts in the project. The IDE still has Android toolbar buttons and menus, but those can be ignored.

Quote:
3) I like to do that personally, but there is no technical reason whatsoever for it.
I have some habits like that too, but I try to avoid them. If we can get solid answers to #1 then perhaps you and others won't feel a need to do that anymore. I've found that a system with multiple versions of any IDE can start to act erratically, especially when trying to upgrade.
Previous Topic:Unknown Eclipse Icon in Project Explorer View
Next Topic:using Eclipse Luna Release (4.4.0) in Ubuntu 14.04
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:27:59 GMT 2024