Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Requirements Modeling Framework  » Requirement-Diff(Diff-View between different versions of the same reqif-document)
icon3.gif  Requirement-Diff [message #1404210] Wed, 30 July 2014 13:21 Go to next message
Peter Pedron is currently offline Peter PedronFriend
Hello developers,

do you have plans to implement a diff-view for different Versions of the same reqif file?
For developers it might be very interesting to see what has changed in which way in different Versions of requirement-specs, especially for agile development. A requirement might have been deleted or several might be new. Also the Content of a requirement might be subject to changes.

Are there any plans to support this, e.g. by making use of EMF Diff/Merge?

Best regards!
Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1404262 is a reply to message #1404210] Wed, 30 July 2014 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Jastram is currently offline Michael JastramFriend
Hi Peter,

> do you have plans to implement a diff-view for different Versions of the same reqif file?

Yes. In fact, we implemented it and wrote about it at http://www.formalmind.com/en/blog/comparing-reqif-files-pror-essentials-diff

Having said that, the version described in the blog only works up to ProR 0.9.0, as it is based on a very old EMF Compare version.

We're developing a new version, based on EMF Compare 3. While it has not yet been announced officially, it is part of the latest formalmind Studio (http://www.formalmind.com/studio). Be warned, it works, but the diff view is not very user-friendly yet. If you find issues, please provide feedback via https://formalmind.zendesk.com/

Best,

- Michael

Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1701023 is a reply to message #1404262] Wed, 08 July 2015 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Thor Asthorsson is currently offline Axel Thor AsthorssonFriend
Hello

I've noticed that the model diff view only shows me differences on properties defined by the meta model, not custom SpecObject attributes. When I change a requirement I can see that it has been changed since the timestamp changes but not the actual content that changed. Would this be a limitation on EMF Diff/Merge or something that could be solved within the RMF/ProR project?

regards
Axel Thor
Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1701108 is a reply to message #1701023] Thu, 09 July 2015 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Axel Thor,

Can you elaborate a little? We don't have a customized Diff as part of RMF (but there is one being part of formalmind Studio).

Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1701441 is a reply to message #1701108] Mon, 13 July 2015 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aidan Courts is currently offline Aidan CourtsFriend
Hi,

I have been attempting to use the diff tool to compare old versions of a reqif file with a newer version. When the three pain view of the diff tool opens, I can view changes at the top, but the two pains at the bottom allowing me to directly compare the two files doesn't seem to work correctly and I get shown the error:

Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.jface"

whenever I try to select an item. Is this a known problem and what is the best way of tackling it?

I also don't seem to have the properties tabs allowing me to compare properties directly as is shown on the online demo video.

I am using ProR on Rodin 3.2 on window 7.

Many thanks
Aidan
Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1701501 is a reply to message #1701441] Mon, 13 July 2015 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Aidan,

When you are in the Navigator View or Project View (not the Event-B Explorer), select the files you would like to compare and select "Compare With" from the context menu. There should be two options: "ReqIF Compare" and "Each other". Be sure to select "ReqIF Compare".

Please note that we are working on a commercial ReqIF compare component that will be a huge improvement over the status quo. Please sign up to our newsletter if you would like to get informed when it's available.

Best,

- Michael
Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1701568 is a reply to message #1701501] Tue, 14 July 2015 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aidan Courts is currently offline Aidan CourtsFriend
Hi Michael,

When I select "Compare With" there are two options: "Each Other" which does not seem to work correctly and comes up with the error mentioned above and "Local History" which I cannot click on.

Thanks

Aidan
Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1702078 is a reply to message #1701568] Sat, 18 July 2015 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Aidan,

Sorry, you're right: The functionality I described is not part of RMF, but part of ProR Essentials. The installation is described here:

http://formalmind.com/handbook?page=sect0061.html

Best,

- Michael
Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1722429 is a reply to message #1702078] Thu, 04 February 2016 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello.

I have all ProR Essentials installed but I never get this "ReqIF Compare" option. I've tried from Navigator view and Project Explorer view and the only thing I get is "Each Other". Any Idea what might be wrong? I using Formal Mind Studio 1.0.0.201601261207 on Windows 10.

best regards
Axel Thor
Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1722867 is a reply to message #1722429] Tue, 09 February 2016 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Axel Thor,

Actually, I think you should have it installed, but the documentation is outdated. "Each other" should do the job.

To be on the save side, please check in the preferences at EMF Compare | Engines: There, you should the the customized Match- and Diff-Engines.

Best,

- Michael
Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1724354 is a reply to message #1722867] Tue, 23 February 2016 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, thanks for the answer. I didn't notice my e-mail notification when you answered.

OK, I then it seems I got this jface problem mentioned in one of the replies on this topic. The problem seems to be related to the property view... I would guess when it is trying to split the view up or something. That is what is supposed to happen I guess, i.e. property view for each object that shows the changes to the object.

The exception is thrown whenever I select an object in the diff view (like can be seen in the attached image). Could you shed some light to this? We are putting some effort in using ProR for our requirement engineering work and this is one of the things that would be really good if would work properly.

I attach an image that shows when the exception is thrown as well as the exception itself in a text file.

best regards
Axel
Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1724423 is a reply to message #1724354] Tue, 23 February 2016 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Axel,

> We are putting some effort in using ProR for our requirement engineering work and this is one of the things that would be really good if would work properly.

I agree, it's a crucial feature. Sorry for putting on my commercial hat now: But that's exactly why we developed Binom, a commercial Diff component: http://formalmind.com/en/binom

We have not officially released it, but I can send you a trial license for the beta version. If you are interested, send me an email (michael.jastram@formalmind.com).

Best, Michael
Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1724587 is a reply to message #1724423] Wed, 24 February 2016 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I sent you a mail on Binom. We would be interested in getting a trial license for it. But regarding the issue above, isn't ProR suppose to have some kind of free diff viewer available? I would guess that the exception is not supposed to be thrown right?
Re: Requirement-Diff [message #1724611 is a reply to message #1724587] Wed, 24 February 2016 21:09 Go to previous message
Hi Axel,

> But regarding the issue above, isn't ProR suppose to have some kind of free diff viewer available? I would guess that the exception is not supposed to be thrown right?

The short answer is: building a robust, scalable diff is extremely difficult.

The long answer: We underestimated the effort initially, but still created a free, working diff. However, it had a number of issues and did not scale well. Then EMF Compare evolved and got better, but without backward compatibility. Even minor version changes in EMF Compare that were not supposed to be incompatible were incompatible.

That's why we started to develop Binom. It took quite a bit of effort for a small company like ours, which is the reason why we cannot offer it for free.
Previous Topic:Clear down presentation configuration errors
Next Topic:How to set the remove git repository in tool?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:22:07 GMT 2024