Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Reference for Eclipse as-you-type compiler (or feature)
icon5.gif  Reference for Eclipse as-you-type compiler (or feature) [message #1403981] Mon, 28 July 2014 22:11 Go to next message
Kivanc Muslu is currently offline Kivanc MusluFriend
Hi,

In Eclipse, under Java > Editor, there is a feature:
"Report problems as you type"

I am looking for a web reference on how Eclipse internally provides continuous feedback on edits, especially the ones that are not saved to the disk yet.

I know that Eclipse JDT Core component comes with an incremental java compiler build as an Eclipse project builder. However, to my best knowledge, project builders work on the difference between two executions of the incremental java compiler, which runs on the file system, not on editor buffers.

Is there a better reference I can use when I mention about Eclipse's on-the-fly compilation and continuous feedback?

Thanks,
Re: Reference for Eclipse as-you-type compiler (or feature) [message #1404087 is a reply to message #1403981] Tue, 29 July 2014 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
JDT's compiler comes in different guises Smile

When driven by the builder it's org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler, which indeed works on files on disk

When working on unsaved buffer content, it's org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.CompilationUnitProblemFinder (which extends the above).
This operation is also called "reconciling".

Re: Reference for Eclipse as-you-type compiler (or feature) [message #1404120 is a reply to message #1404087] Tue, 29 July 2014 17:46 Go to previous message
Kivanc Muslu is currently offline Kivanc MusluFriend
Hi Stephan,

Thank you very much for the pointers. I wanted reference the fact that Eclipse extends its file-system based compiler to provide on-the-fly information about warnings and errors on unsaved buffer content in academic context. On main page of JDT Core, the incremental file-system compiler is featured, but there is no information about this extension. Some Internet search did not reveal any documents either.

In your opinion, what would be the best link/document as a citation?

Thanks,
Previous Topic:Eclipse compiler doesn't like method references with overloaded varargs method
Next Topic:Eclipse line numbers in status bar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:10:03 GMT 2024