Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Luna: additional undesired Stop button in SWT UI
Luna: additional undesired Stop button in SWT UI [message #1403951] Mon, 28 July 2014 17:09 Go to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
In my project, we have a problem with a "Stop Button" ("Cancel Current Operation Button") that appears with the SWT UI.

To reproduce:
- Eclipse Luna EPP.
- New Project with „Eclipse 3.8" as Running Platform.
- (if needed Java 8 fix: replace Java 8 with Java 7).
- Add a new Form „My Form".
- Server side in MyService add a Thread.sleep(9000); in the load method.
- Add a Menu to open My Form.
- Start the application.
- Open the form with the Menu.

index.php/fa/18652/0/

During the waiting period, the button appears in the form:

index.php/fa/18653/0/

If you have an outline based application the button appears on in the view representing the content of the table (center view ?).

I am looking for a fix.

I am not sure if it is new with Luna or not.
Re: Luna: additional undesired Stop button in SWT UI [message #1404057 is a reply to message #1403951] Tue, 29 July 2014 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Villiger is currently offline Matthias VilligerFriend
Hi Jérémie,

As far as I know, this button has always been there and is shown as soon as an operation takes more time. This gives the user some feedback that the task may take longer and allows her/him to abort it.

So there is no fix and no change, thats a feature Wink

Kind regards
matthias
Re: Luna: additional undesired Stop button in SWT UI [message #1404063 is a reply to message #1404057] Tue, 29 July 2014 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for your help. I will inform my project team.
Re: Luna: additional undesired Stop button in SWT UI [message #1404299 is a reply to message #1404063] Thu, 31 July 2014 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Urs Beeli is currently offline Urs BeeliFriend
To add a little more information: When you call a server side service the Scout applciation first shows the Windows wait cursor. After a few seconds it changes back to the arrow cursor but all view/form icons change to a small animated wait cursor. It is at the time of this switch that the stop button is also added to the forms.

I've managed to turn off this behaviour by overriding a number of SWT classes. This way, our application shows the wait cursor until a server response has been received. This stops the user from making the - incorrect - assumption that he can interact with the application again because of the arrow cursor, when in fact he can't. It also takes from him the possibility to abort, so this may or may not be desired. We added this change at the request of our end users.

If you are interested I can post my solution here.
Re: Luna: additional undesired Stop button in SWT UI [message #1440249 is a reply to message #1404299] Wed, 08 October 2014 05:47 Go to previous message
See also this discussion about SwtBusyHandler and freezing the UI. I have provided some code as example.
Previous Topic:Using different view-sets (perspectives)
Next Topic:Lifecycle of a Form
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:10:40 GMT 2024