Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » OM2M » OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility
OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1403757] Sat, 26 July 2014 00:03 Go to next message
Han Liao is currently offline Han LiaoFriend
Hi there,

I'm wondering whether current version of OM2M GSCL can be built on Raspberry PI or Android? If so, what procedures do I need to take?

Thanks,

Han
Re: OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1403811 is a reply to message #1403757] Mon, 28 July 2014 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahdi Ben Alaya is currently offline Mahdi Ben AlayaFriend
Hello han,

I am usually using OM2M on Beaglebone Black as you can see in this demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTAdJZpnsk
OM2M is a java platform running on top of an Equinox OSGi runtime. So, nothing special to do to run OM2M on Raspberry PI, just be sure to have java version 7 and that's all. (Use the same command mentioned on the wiki)

We developed an android version of OM2M, not yet published on Eclipse cause we need to do more tests. We faced some issues with the JAXB library (XML object mapping) which is not included in android. As alternative, we replaced JAXB with the SimpleXML library.

Don't hesitate to give me some feedback about your experiments.

Mahdi

[Updated on: Mon, 28 July 2014 00:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1403895 is a reply to message #1403811] Mon, 28 July 2014 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can make a quick test on Raspberry Pi using the OM2M binaries available on this link: https://wiki.eclipse.org/OM2M/Download#Get_OM2M_binaries
Re: OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1403954 is a reply to message #1403895] Mon, 28 July 2014 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for all information you provided, Mahdi!
Re: OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1417071 is a reply to message #1403757] Thu, 04 September 2014 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Madhi,

I still have questions to let OM2M project run on android. Since OM2M is built on Equinox runtime, then Equinox should be possible to run on Android. However, I didn't find any useful material stating current Equinox is possible to run on Android. I also tried to immigrate OM2M to Apache Felix, which can be run on Android but only got failure. How did you get OM2M work on Android? Thanks!

Han
Re: OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1431378 is a reply to message #1417071] Thu, 25 September 2014 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Han,

The guy who worked on OM2M for android was not really interested in extensiblity that's why he removed totally the OSGi Equinox container.
But I am not happy with this development, because as you said, OSGi felix works perfectly in Android.
What kind of problems you faced ? Are errors related to OSGi or JAXb ?

Mahdi
Re: OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1431423 is a reply to message #1431378] Thu, 25 September 2014 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Mahdi,

I tried to immigrate OM2M bundles to Felix, but found errors. I was thinking maybe it's the dependency issue of Equinox. But then I found based on the nature of my project, I also need to work without OSGi. Is there any possibility to open source your work on Android? Thanks!

Han
Re: OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1496926 is a reply to message #1431423] Wed, 03 December 2014 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Salma Bradai is currently offline Salma BradaiFriend
Hi Mahdi,
I'm still exploring om2m,
so it is a question of comprehension and may be stupid,
If we suppose that a mobile device (smart phone) host a Home Controller android application, so this application will register to nscl, then it will use services exposed by nscl to dynamically discover home devices (sensors, actuators and other mobile device) and control them.
1- is this scenario feasible? (I'm still understanding the platform Rolling Eyes )
2- should om2m run on android in this case?

[Updated on: Wed, 03 December 2014 11:51]

Re: OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1498317 is a reply to message #1496926] Thu, 04 December 2014 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

1) Yes this is a typical M2M scenario, that can be easily implemented using OM2M.

2) You have two choices depending on your need.
a) (Easy) Run a light HTTP or CoAP device application (including client and server) on Android for your home controller. This application will interact remotely with the NSCL or GSCL using the REST API. In this case the NSCL or GSCL should run in a separate machine.
b) (Advanced) Run the SCL on Android, then register your device applications locally. In this case, the Android becomes a part of the service layer (DSCL) and offers services to applications based on the REST API. However, the current version of OM2M do not natively support Android . Some changes should be made.

Hope this can help.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 December 2014 10:20]

Re: OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1499748 is a reply to message #1498317] Fri, 05 December 2014 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Salma Bradai is currently offline Salma BradaiFriend
Thank you Mahdi Smile
it was very helpful
Re: OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1678957 is a reply to message #1417071] Mon, 16 March 2015 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ravi Teja is currently offline Ravi TejaFriend
Hi

How did u try to migrate OM2M to apache felix.Can u help me in this.

Thanks in advance
Re: OM2M GSCL on Raspberry PI or Android possibility [message #1688348 is a reply to message #1678957] Fri, 20 March 2015 14:15 Go to previous message
Hello Ravi,

You should be familiar with Felix OSGi development to be able to migrate the OM2M code. (add new plugins to Felix, handle the Felix configuration file, etc.)
Please find my response here: https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1041978/

Mahdi
Previous Topic:Unable to install tycho using eclipse
Next Topic:XML Schema Binding
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:53:02 GMT 2024