Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » NatTable » Performance for selection and scrolling
Performance for selection and scrolling [message #1403117] Mon, 21 July 2014 12:57 Go to next message
Alexander Klatt is currently offline Alexander KlattFriend
Hi,

NatTable provides exactly the functionality that I need for my application.
However, one drawback is that the cell selection and scrolling behavior is a bit
laggy. I did not find any information on this issue. Is there any way to boost
performance for this (e.g. disable font changing on selection) ?
I would appreciate any advice!

[Updated on: Mon, 21 July 2014 12:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Performance for selection and scrolling [message #1403121 is a reply to message #1403117] Mon, 21 July 2014 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk FauthFriend
You did not find any information on this issue, because you are the first person mentioning it.

What exactly do you mean? Selecting a range of cells, trying to scroll in a direction? Or what do you want to boost?

I don't think disabling the font changing would change anything here, as on selection the cell needs to be rerendered. Maybe there is too much rerendered, but in that case it is a general issue in NatTable you can not "boost" yourself.
Re: Performance for selection and scrolling [message #1403122 is a reply to message #1403121] Mon, 21 July 2014 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I am talking about for example drag-selecting a range of cells. Maybe I am just too picky Smile, but in the Nebula Grid, this is more fluent.
Re: Performance for selection and scrolling [message #1403126 is a reply to message #1403122] Mon, 21 July 2014 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please open a ticket.
Re: Performance for selection and scrolling [message #1403134 is a reply to message #1403126] Mon, 21 July 2014 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know where to open a ticket. But the reason for the slow selection performance is because of the default drag selection event.
With the following code, the selection is smooth:

This does not work yet though, if the table is not scrolled to the top.
    private class BodyDragSelection implements IDragMode {
        @Override
        public void mouseUp(NatTable natTable, MouseEvent event) {
        }

@Override
        public void mouseMove(NatTable natTable, MouseEvent event) {
            SelectionLayer selectionLayer = ((MyBodyLayerStack) gridLayer.getBodyLayer()).getSelectionLayer();
            selectionLayer.getSelectionModel().clearSelection();
            selectionLayer.selectCell(selectionLayer.getColumnPositionByX(event.x - gridLayer.getCornerLayer().getWidth()), selectionLayer.getRowPositionByY(event.y - gridLayer.getCornerLayer().getHeight()), true, false);
            natTable.redraw();
        }

@Override
        public void mouseDown(NatTable natTable, MouseEvent event) {
            SelectionLayer selectionLayer = ((MyBodyLayerStack) gridLayer.getBodyLayer()).getSelectionLayer();
            int startRowIndex = selectionLayer.getRowPositionByY(event.y - gridLayer.getCornerLayer().getHeight());
            int startColumnIndex = selectionLayer.getColumnPositionByX(event.x - gridLayer.getCornerLayer().getWidth());
            selectionLayer.clear();
            selectionLayer.moveSelectionAnchor(startColumnIndex, startRowIndex);
            selectionLayer.selectCell(startColumnIndex, startRowIndex, true, false);
            natTable.redraw();
        }
    }

[Updated on: Mon, 21 July 2014 15:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Performance for selection and scrolling [message #1403136 is a reply to message #1403134] Mon, 21 July 2014 15:25 Go to previous message
You open a bug here: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=NatTable

Open it for NatTable Core and version 1.1.0

If you find a solution for the issue, try to fix it in core and contribute as explained here: https://www.eclipse.org/nattable/documentation.php?page=contribution_guide
Previous Topic:NatTable Repository
Next Topic:Persistance of NATTABLE ignoring Filter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:04:24 GMT 2024