Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » [moved to Eclipse Projects --> Web Tools Project] Problem setting up tomcat7 server with Luna WTP(Tomcat7 is running, but eclipse WTP does not recognize it.)
[moved to Eclipse Projects --> Web Tools Project] Problem setting up tomcat7 server with Luna WTP [message #1402970] Sat, 19 July 2014 00:18 Go to next message
Jim Anderson is currently offline Jim AndersonFriend
Hi,

I have experience using Eclipse for C/C++ and java. I got a recommendation to use Eclipse for web development so I have started to investigate WTP in Luna. I'm having a problem with the startup.

I have started a 'helloworld' project and when creating the project, I had a screen similar to my first attachment, 'newDynamcicWebProject.png'. Note that in that screen shot, the tomcat7 server is designated as the 'target runtime'. The tomcat7 server is running and installed on my computer. When I originally brought up Eclipse, I went to [Windows --> preferences --> server --> runtime environment] screen and added the tomcat7 server to the runtime environment. So I think my instance of Eclipse should know about the tomcat7 server at this point.

I'm following the instructions for running an html program using WTP, and it says to select my html program, 'helloworld.html' and then right click and select [RunAs --> Run On Server]. When selected, the page shown in the 'runOnServerTomcat7.png' attachment is displayed. Note that in this screen shot, the server name is blank, and the only button available to click is the 'cancel' button, implying that the tomcat7 selection is not valid.

But on that same screen, if I click on the 'Tomcat v8.0 server' as shown in the 'runOnServerTomcat8.png' attachment, the server name appears and all of the buttons are enabled, implying tomcat 8 is a valid selection.

I'm confused because I have the tomcat7 server up and running but Eclipse does not seem to recognize that. But it does seem to recognize tomcat8 which it not installed nor running on my host.

Can anyone help explain how I can configure Eclipse to run using the tomcat7 server on my host?

Regards,
Jim Anderson

[Updated on: Mon, 21 July 2014 14:14] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problem setting up tomcat7 server with Luna WTP [message #1403003 is a reply to message #1402970] Sat, 19 July 2014 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 07/18/2014 06:18 PM, Jim Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have experience using Eclipse for C/C++ and java. I got a recommendation to use Eclipse for web development so I have started to investigate WTP in Luna. I'm having a problem with the startup.
>
> I have started a 'helloworld' project and when creating the project, I had a screen similar to my first attachment, 'newDynamcicWebProject.png'. Note that in that screen shot, the tomcat7 server is designated as the 'target runtime'. The tomcat7 server is running and installed on my computer. When I originally brought up Eclipse, I went to [Windows --> preferences --> server --> runtime environment] screen and added the tomcat7 server to the runtime environment. So I think my instance of Eclipse should know about the tomcat7 server at this point.
>
> I'm following the instructions for running an html program using WTP, and it says to select my html program, 'helloworld.html' and then right click and select [RunAs --> Run On Server]. When selected, the page shown in the 'runOnServerTomcat7.png' attachment is displayed. Note that in this screen shot, the server name is blank, and the only button available to click is the 'cancel' button, implying that the tomcat7 selection is not valid.
>
> But on that same screen, if I click on the 'Tomcat v8.0 server' as shown in the 'runOnServerTomcat8.png' attachment, the server name appears and all of the buttons are enabled, implying tomcat 8 is a valid selection.
>
> I'm confused because I have the tomcat7 server up and running but Eclipse does not seem to recognize that. But it does seem to recognize tomcat8 which it not installed nor running on my host.
>
> Can anyone help explain how I can configure Eclipse to run using the tomcat7 server on my host?
>
> Regards,
> Jim Anderson

Jim,

There is an Eclipse WTP forum where you're likely to get more and better
help than in this.
Re: Problem setting up tomcat7 server with Luna WTP [message #1403129 is a reply to message #1403003] Mon, 21 July 2014 14:16 Go to previous message
Jim Anderson is currently offline Jim AndersonFriend

Russel,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I had looked for WTP, but had not seen it because it was rolled under 'Eclipse Projects'. I found it this time and placed my question there.

Jim A.
Previous Topic:Eclipse orion
Next Topic:Standalone help app on android
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:27:05 GMT 2024