Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Perform eclipse operations via console
Perform eclipse operations via console [message #1401250] Tue, 15 July 2014 10:46 Go to next message
Alberto Bustamante is currently offline Alberto BustamanteFriend
Hi all,

I think this is the best place to post my question, as it is about eclipse in general, not about a specific language IDE. Sorry if Im wrong.

Let me introduce my "problem":

In my company we use an eclipse-based application to generate the configuration of a given software. The workflow is:
1) Open the project and edit the configuration in a GUI.
2) Generate two xmls files containing the configuration.
3) Store in our control version system the edited project file, and the two generated files.

This workflow caused some inconsistencies in the past, when someone just stored the generated files, but not the project file, or viceversa.

I would like to automatize the generation of the configuration, so when the whole software code is compiled, the xmls are generated. This could reduce the risk of inconsistencies.

For doing that, I should have to find the way to open the project and generate the xmls files programmatically. Is there any way to do that? I am not an expert in eclipse, so if you could recommend me any documentation/API I should read I will really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance! Smile
Re: Perform eclipse operations via console [message #1401470 is a reply to message #1401250] Tue, 15 July 2014 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
The Eclipse XText project provides features to help with this. The project allows you to define a Domain Specific Language and generate code to parse/edit/build the language. If you can define the configuration file format in a DSL, you should be able to use the auto generate features of Xtext to create the xml files when you save the configuration files.

https://www.eclipse.org/Xtext/
Re: Perform eclipse operations via console [message #1401936 is a reply to message #1401470] Wed, 16 July 2014 09:15 Go to previous message
Alberto Bustamante is currently offline Alberto BustamanteFriend
Thanks for your answer.

Yesterday I finally found the answer. What I was trying to do was to run the application in "headless mode". I didnt know how it was called.
Previous Topic:Can not convert the value of 03/22/1999 to java.sql.Date type
Next Topic:How to new CQSession (cqjni.jar) by eclipse-jee-kepler-SR2-win32-x86_64
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 21:24:52 GMT 2024