Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Build path with remote unix jars possible?(Discussion about using remotely stored JAR files)
Build path with remote unix jars possible? [message #1397448] Wed, 09 July 2014 18:53 Go to next message
Luc Millette is currently offline Luc MilletteFriend
I'm currently working on a project that requires me to call a third-party's API. In order to do so I have to reference some of their JAR files in my project.

My problem stems from the fact that this third-party's jar files are only maintained on a unix environment. I can manually FTP over the jars to my local computer, and rebuild all the references to the local files in the project and am successful in building my project.

The main problem with this approcah is that maintaining this code in the future by other DEVS is going to be a huge pain. They will always have to get fresh copies of the jars from the remote unix server in order to just compile the project even if they are making basic changes.

How do you guys solve this? I know I can't directly add a reference to a unix filesystem in the buildpath dialog. I also don't even know if it would be possible to have an automated script which would retrieve the required files when the project is loaded in the eclipse IDE. That doesn't seem like a very intelligent way to maintain up do date jars and their references.
Re: Build path with remote unix jars possible? [message #1400703 is a reply to message #1397448] Mon, 14 July 2014 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vuong Viet is currently offline Vuong VietFriend
How do you guys solve this?
Re: Build path with remote unix jars possible? [message #1400706 is a reply to message #1397448] Mon, 14 July 2014 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
That exactly what tools like Maven and Gradle were designed to solve. There is pretty good integration with Eclipse for both. I'd recommend looking at Gradle first, but Maven is slightly more widely used (it's been around a little longer).
Re: Build path with remote unix jars possible? [message #1400798 is a reply to message #1400706] Mon, 14 July 2014 18:35 Go to previous message
Luc Millette is currently offline Luc MilletteFriend
Thanks for your reply. I'll look into integrating one of these into my Eclipse.
Previous Topic:Eclipse > Export > Launch Config - Cluttered With Dead Files
Next Topic:http://marketplace.eclipse.org/ -> DOWN..... ;(
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:40:44 GMT 2024