Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Memory Analyzer » Can object address help to give me generation info ?
Can object address help to give me generation info ? [message #1397312] Wed, 09 July 2014 14:33 Go to next message
Chris Hurst is currently offline Chris HurstFriend
So, I've seen that generation info say even old vs new has been asked for before and that this information is not explicitly in the hprof but if I was say using a collector with fixed region sizes (standard collector)could I in theory guess where an object sits, if I new its address from the hprof.

So say I have half my memory new and fixed, i know my heap size, perm size etc could I use the object address to indicate if that object is in old or new say eg if object address > x say. Though I notice System class loader appears to have address 0.
Re: Can object address help to give me generation info ? [message #1450363 is a reply to message #1397312] Wed, 22 October 2014 11:10 Go to previous message
Andrew Johnson is currently offline Andrew JohnsonFriend
I think this could work, provided it wasn't an HPROF agent dump (which doesn't have proper addresses). For HPROF the system class loader is a special case, and has address 0.

Some years ago I did try a query which used object addresses to look for space between objects to assess fragmentation.

Andrew Johnson
Previous Topic:Hash Entries throwing Java_Version error
Next Topic:Unsupported Segment Type 0 errors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 07:10:51 GMT 2024