Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Orion (Archived) » push a commit to gerrit.
push a commit to gerrit. [message #1396617] Tue, 08 July 2014 14:57 Go to next message
Jeremie Bresson is currently offline Jeremie BressonFriend
I am trying to push a commit to the eclipse.org gerrit.

I cloned public repository (read only) and was able to prepare a commit.
Following this how to: Using_Gerrit_in_Orion#Configure_the_Gerrit_remote

I was able to add a new "gerrit" remote for my project. I configured remote.gerrit.fetch and remote.gerrit.push as decribed on the wiki.

I think I am able to fetch... Because when I enter my credentials (copy paste the private key and the passphrase) I get no errors. To be honest, I do not know what "refs/notes/*:refs/notes/*" is good for and what the expected result should be in Orion.

When I want to push to gerrit, I need to push to "refs/for/<branch>". I cannot find where you do it in the Orion GUI.
Re: push a commit to gerrit. [message #1396776 is a reply to message #1396617] Tue, 08 July 2014 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found more information in the New and noteworthy (Orion version 5.0 - gerrit section) article.

I missed the "New Branch" field when I tried to switch the location where I want to commit.

http://planetorion.org/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/50m2-push-review.png

Now when I try to push to gerrit, everything looks fine. But at the end I get a "UP_TO_DATE" warning. I do not see my change in Gerrit...

index.php/fa/18504/0/

Re: push a commit to gerrit. [message #1396804 is a reply to message #1396776] Tue, 08 July 2014 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

On 07/08/2014 03:27 PM, Jeremie Bresson wrote:
>
> Now when I try to push to gerrit, everything looks fine. But at the end I get a "UP_TO_DATE" warning. I do not see my change in Gerrit...
>

did you enter refs/for/master in the New Branch field? The page you
linked to seems to indicate /refs/for/master (did you try both :-)

PW

Re: push a commit to gerrit. [message #1397068 is a reply to message #1396804] Wed, 09 July 2014 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your feedback.

In the Eclipse Scout project, we follow a git-flow like branching policy and we commit on the develop branch instead of master. I do not think that this is a reason why it does not work.

With your input, I was able to find where my commit went: orion created a "refs/for/develop" branch.

In the Gerrit admin I also see this branch and I can delete it.
index.php/fa/18505/0/

I have have tried to enter "/refs/for/develop" (with the leading slash). I got this error:
index.php/fa/18506/0/

Why does Orion add a "refs/heads/" prefix?
Re: push a commit to gerrit. [message #1403458 is a reply to message #1397068] Wed, 23 July 2014 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

On 07/09/2014 02:42 AM, Jeremie Bresson wrote:
>
>
> Why does Orion add a "refs/heads/" prefix?
>

I have since found out that the Orion 6.0 gerrit integration is broken.

PW

Re: push a commit to gerrit. [message #1403676 is a reply to message #1403458] Fri, 25 July 2014 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster wrote on Wed, 23 July 2014 21:53
I have since found out that the Orion 6.0 gerrit integration is broken.

Thanks for the feedback.

I assume Orion 6.0 is installed on orionhub?

Any bug to track this problem?

My idea behind this forum thread was to define orionhub as a possible way for contributors to fix text stuff (translations files, javadoc...) for the eclipse scout project. For some tasks, the barrier to entry is too big if they need to go through the whole setup project.

I was really impressed by the simplicity of Orion. Everything works fine and Orion is really powerful.

The other idea I had was the GitHub online editor but:
- You have no gerrit integration. (Meaning someone from the team needs to transform the pull-request to gerrit-changes).
- In the GitHub web-ui, you cannot fetch from upstream and rebase (or I do not know how to do this).

Please tell me if fixing the Orion-Gerrit integration is on your roadmap.

Re: push a commit to gerrit. [message #1456372 is a reply to message #1403676] Thu, 30 October 2014 09:39 Go to previous message
The EclipseCon Europe allows me to get in touch with John Arthorne (see it on twitter). With his help, I was able to push from orion to gerrit.

The current documentation can be found here: Git User Guide.md. This is still work in progress, it will be published somewhere online soon. You can view it on GitHub: working with gerrit in Orion

If you do exactly what is described (in this order), it will work.

Thank you a lot for the help.
Previous Topic:Linking to existing content?
Next Topic:Orion theme support in Orion 7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:22:31 GMT 2024