Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Where do I find how to change indentation using tab key(Where do I find how to change indentation using tab key)
Where do I find how to change indentation using tab key [message #1388681] Thu, 26 June 2014 20:11 Go to next message
Dave Slomer is currently offline Dave SlomerFriend
I've used Netbeans for a year and I'm frustrated by one of the simplest tasks after deciding to give Eclipse another try (last year's effort was dismal).

I want the tab key to indent 2 spaces, not 4.

Where do I find how to change the number of spaces that the tab key indents when I hit it?

I'm using Version: Luna Release (4.4.0), Build id: 20140612-0600, and no matter what Google thread I choose, the suggestion does not remotely resemble the IDE I'm in. So that's why I'm here.

Eclipse "help" says, "Indicate your preferences for the smart insert settings on the Java > Editor > Typing preference page." That's a hyperlink, which takes me to a page index.php/fa/18378/0/on which a number of tabs have been expanded and I see, "The tab display value (currently 4) and whether blahblahblah ... are configured on the 'Formatter' (another hyperlink) preference page...." So I follow that link and the window that opens has expanded a few tabs so I'm looking at Java > Code style > Formatter and there is NO PLACE to set indents.index.php/fa/18379/0/
  • Attachment: 00.PNG
    (Size: 75.39KB, Downloaded 921 times)
  • Attachment: 01.PNG
    (Size: 78.01KB, Downloaded 897 times)
Re: Where do I find how to change indentation using tab key [message #1388691 is a reply to message #1388681] Thu, 26 June 2014 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

You actually have to create a profile you're allowed to modify by pressing New..., of if one is already active, Edit.... The first controls in the first tab of that dialog control exactly what you're looking for.

http://i.imgur.com/6lOsIcn.png

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Thu, 26 June 2014 20:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Where do I find how to change indentation using tab key [message #1388700 is a reply to message #1388691] Thu, 26 June 2014 20:46 Go to previous message
Dave Slomer is currently offline Dave SlomerFriend
Yeah, I finally stumbled onto another way to do it and posted what worked for me right about the time you posted this. Thanks for replying, though. You might want to look for what I just posted and comment on it if there's an easier way.
Previous Topic:Action Set Problem
Next Topic:How to make your own tab indentation size
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:23:38 GMT 2024